Reloading the XI config hangs

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
emarmonti

Re: Reloading the XI config hangs

Post by emarmonti »

Crond is running and all I see is this every 5 minutes:

Apr 18 14:55:01 nagios2 CROND[17015]: (root) CMD (LANG=C LC_ALL=C /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg --lock-file /var/lock/mrtg/mrtg_l --confcache-file /var/lib/mrtg/mrtg.ok)

scottwilkerson wrote:Is crond running?

Code: Select all

service crond status
Also can you port the output of

tail -20 /var/log/cron
emarmonti

Post by emarmonti »

You know, the really strange thing about this problem is that if I do a clean install of Nagios XI, I see the exact same problems I outlined above.

Hardware problems maybe? The machine is a brand new Dell PowerEdge R620 with 8GB of memory and dual quad-core 1.8ghz cpus. I would be shocked if this has anything to do with hardware incompatibility.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Are you using SSL or NAT for this system?

Can you access the Admin->System Profile page and send us the download from that page?
emarmonti

Post by emarmonti »

I am using SSL (and just realized I forgot to mention that in the first post - sorry bout that).

I ended up blowing away the system and did a minimal install. The previous install was a "Basic Server" install. The default XI install worked normal so I think it may have been something specific to my OS config - maybe incompatible libraries or something, I don't know.

mguthrie wrote:Are you using SSL or NAT for this system?

Can you access the Admin->System Profile page and send us the download from that page?
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

We'll need the full file output from the following command:

tail -f /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/cmdsubsys.log &> debug.log
Then run the Apply Configuration again from the web UI. We don't currently have enough information to trace the problem. Also, see question from previous post:
emarmonti

Post by emarmonti »

mguthrie, thank you for the additional steps.

After many face palms and trial-and-error, I think I resolved the issue. I turned on the previous installation of Xi that was on a VM and saw it was on 2011R1.7 - I upgraded it to 2012R1.8, confirmed Xi worked normally, then took a fresh backup.

Over on my new machine that as of 2 hours ago has a fresh CentOS 6 install, I installed 2012R-1.8, then did a restore from the backup I just took - voila.

So it seems this happened because I restored a config from a 2011 version to the latest 2012 version. Per http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... ing_XI.pdf, "The steps described in (the) documentation require that your Nagios XI installation be running 2009R1.2C or later.".... I guess that is not a true statement.

mguthrie wrote:We'll need the full file output from the following command:

tail -f /usr/local/nagiosxi/var/cmdsubsys.log &> debug.log
Then run the Apply Configuration again from the web UI. We don't currently have enough information to trace the problem. Also, see question from previous post:
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Did you switch architectures during this migration?

Is this issue resolved?
emarmonti

Post by emarmonti »

No, we did not switch architectures. It would be nice if I completely understood the problem, but the issue is resolved.
mguthrie wrote:Did you switch architectures during this migration?

Is this issue resolved?