Trouble monitoring CPU temp

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
yournamezz

Trouble monitoring CPU temp

Post by yournamezz »

Hey all,

First of all i wanted to say that my english isn't that good so excuse me for my bad English.
We are testing with Nagios Core at this moment, until now the tests were pretty good.
At this moment we are monitoring (almost) everything we want to know about our systems, the only problem is that we can't get the cpu to be monitord.

I took the following steps, but until now without any succes:
- I've tried dozens of addons/pugins at exchange.nagios.com.
- Ive tried to find any usable information on google.
- I've tried to monitor the system using speedfan and then send that information using snmp to Nagios (without any succes).

The systems we are trying to monitor are all Windows 7 systems with the same hardware in it.
At this point we monitor these things succesfull on the systems:
- Apache
- DB usage
- Memmory usage
- Disk usage
- Chrome & Explorer service
- Uptime
- CPU load

The hardware in the systems is from Jetway and Intel.
My skills in Nagios Core is not very high so i hope you guys can help me, it's the last thing we need to get working and then the whole system can go live.

Thanks in advance!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Trouble monitoring CPU temp

Post by abrist »

What agent are you using to check the windows 7 box? Nsclient, wmi, snmp?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
yournamezz

Post by yournamezz »

Hi,

Thnx for the quick reply.
I'm using Nsclient.
I tried using WMI and snmp but i can't get it to work. Is it possible to monitor the cpu temperature using Nsclient?
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

yournamezz wrote:Is it possible to monitor the cpu temperature using Nsclient?
I don't believe Windows natively has a performance counter for CPU temp (I am with you, they should).

So the biggest question will be, is this information available on my system.... If so it can likely be monitored by NSClient.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

NSclient does not provide the functionality to check temp on its own. However Windows does store the data in wmi. Using the below powershell command you can easily query cpu temp. However you would need to either use nsclients wmi functionality and then do the needed math, or write a full powershell script to handle warning and critical returns if you need that functionality.

Code: Select all

Get-WmiObject -Query "SELECT * FROM MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature"  -Namespace root\WMI | ForEach-Object { $temp = ($_.CurrentTemperature -2732)/10; Write-Host $_.InstanceName" = "$temp }
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.