/usr/local/nagios/etc/object is newer than internal database

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
checkernet

/usr/local/nagios/etc/object is newer than internal database

Post by checkernet »

Hi Everybody

Im having trouble where i just assumed the role of nagios admin. I am using Core 3 and when im in the web GUI and go into Administration; anytime I click any of the options to edit such as hosts , groups, services , etc..... I am greeted with error "Nagios Configuration Directory '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects is newer than the internal Database."

I believe this happened because I had edited the commands.cfg config file on the server located in this objects folder. I originally got message "Nagios Configuration Directory '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg" is newer than the internal Database.
So I replaced that config file with the old one that I had saved and now I get the error Nagios Configuration Directory '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects is newer than the internal Database.

I was later told to just edit the commands from the WebGUI and not the config files on the CentOS box..... whoops.

Can anyone help me get this back to a state where I can edit the services, etc through the WebGUI and how can I do this?
Thanks in advance for any help!
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: /usr/local/nagios/etc/object is newer than internal data

Post by abrist »

Nagios core does not provide a config management ui system out of the box. Are you using nagiosql or nconf?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
checkernet

Post by checkernet »

I believe the UI is called EZNag, version 1.1.2
Does this help?
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

EZnag is a third-party application, so there is only so much we can do to test it before it becomes pure guesswork. I see the latest version is 1.3.1, is there any reason you did not use that?
Former Nagios employee
checkernet

Post by checkernet »

I havent made any updates yet because I had just assumed this new role..... and my Linux skills are not great.
I could update the EZNAG, it is still functioning which is why I didnt want to mess with it too much. I was just looking to adjust some of the current alerts.

Do you believe updating the EZNAG would also kind of "refresh" the internal database to sync up with the /usr/local/nagios/etc/object folder? As it seems the lack of sync between the two is triggering the error whenever I try to make changes in the eznag gui.
I am open to all suggestions but trying to take a conservative approach to ensure that I dont break the EZNAG interface all together.
checkernet

Post by checkernet »

I might add, when I go into "Administration" in the EZNAG gui where my options are, There is a "Rebuild" button..... does anyone know what this actually rebuilds?
Thank you
slansing

Post by slansing »

Unfortunately I'm not sure any of us are qualified to tell you yes or no when it comes to updating "EZNAG" as it is one of those third party utilities that we've never really dealt with. I cannot find any documentation on it as of yet.