check_multi state evaulation

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
klajosh2

check_multi state evaulation

Post by klajosh2 »

Hello,

I need some help with the check_multi plugin. I found it as a very powerfull tool. This tool helping me to monitor all the interfaces of a network switch.
The child plugin (check_snmp_netint) generates critical when an interface is down (can be turned off but I do not want to) I would like to use the check_multi
state evaulation feature to ignore the errors of few serverices. Can somebody help how to do this?

Let's say I have 3 interfaces:
fa0_1, fa0_2, fa0_3.
fa0_3 many times changes its state from up to down (and back), despite this I would like to monitor it but I do not want to send alerts but
I want to send alerts about fa0_1 and fa0_2. So somehow I would like to ignore only this plugin's output from the check_multi's results.
I know it can be done with count(CRITICAL) >1 setting but is there other way to do it?

thanks,

klajosh2
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: check_multi state evaulation

Post by abrist »

Not really. I would suggest creating another check for the interfaces you do not want to alert/notify on. I agree that count is not a good solution because if the noisy interface is up, and a critical interface is down, the count will still show the check as ok.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
klajosh2

Re: check_multi state evaulation

Post by klajosh2 »

Thanks for your answer! I came to the same conclusion.