Unconfigured Objects - automation

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
sujitt

Unconfigured Objects - automation

Post by sujitt »

Hello,

I have a setup nagios xi with passive checks. I need to dynamically be able to configure the unconfigured object by using defaults instead of manually configuring it for the first time. We do not want to miss the first notification received.
today when we receive the nsca inbound mesage the first message is lost because that is used for manually configuring the unconfigured objects.

Is there a way to automate this process by some kind of scripting or hooks?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Unconfigured Objects - automation

Post by admin »

Hi sujitt - We've had the idea of implementing an auto-import/config of unconfigured objects on our drawing board for a while. I think we could try and implement something fairly simple that could work for you.

Would the following scenario work for you?

1. Pre-configure a rule that determines how newly "discovered" unconfigured objects should be monitored (e.g. where notifications should go, what host/servicegroup they should belong to)
2. When Nagios XI first sees a passive check that doesn't correlate with an existing host/service, it creates a new one and reconfigures the monitoring engine
3. The original passive check is re-sent to Nagios XI (once it is reconfigured to handle it) and an alert is/can be sent out

Would that solution work for you?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
sujitt

Post by sujitt »

That would work.

Is this a change or a patch?
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

We could possibly get a patch out to you, then if we integrate it into Nagios XI it would be a bigger change.
Former Nagios employee
sujitt

Post by sujitt »

Thank you!
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'll file a feature request for this. Not being part of the dev team I can't say for sure when this will be looked at, but I will for sure put in the request.
Former Nagios employee
sujitt

Post by sujitt »

Is there a way to make nagios not even need a pre setup of services but a just a template with regular expression which will define its notification and all other features? This would be a valuable addition to nagios next version.
I know this would be a basic change to the Nagios core, but would this not make life easier for administration, monitoring and reporting. This will also make things more efficient. some other tools do use this method.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Is there a way to make nagios not even need a pre setup of services but a just a template with regular expression which will define its notification and all other features?
Can you elaborate on this?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
sujitt

Post by sujitt »

Here is how My Vision of Setting up Passive Services Or Active
what we today call as service templates can be defined a little diferently.
Instead of hard linking the service template to a service we could link it by service name Regex.
here is an example. This example allow me to monitor a bunch of hosts and
service template : Assume that all hosts were defined earlier.
Name: SQL_DB_Monitoring
Host Name Rule : <Regex> XIL*
Service Rule:<Regex_ex> ENGDB*
Service group: ENGINEERING
contact Group:IT_SERVICES_ENGINEERING
Host group:XYZ
command : check command
Notifications details
Alert details :
others;..

If it was active checks , This check command would execute for all the hosts matching the Hostname regex.
If it was passive checks , any hosts or service rule regex matches would be reported under the name sent by the agents.
I know I have given you a sample and a design, Hope this would stir some conversations/discussions in your teams.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

We have an internal development task created for this feature (ID 164). I have added the notes from your last post as I believe this is a logical setup and would be an excellent feature to have.

Thanks for the input!
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com