Plugin ok from CLI, not ok when executed by nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
cosmin.neagu

Plugin ok from CLI, not ok when executed by nagios

Post by cosmin.neagu »

Hi,
I have the following problem. If I run a plugin from cli as nagios, it is working as expected:
nagios@monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ ./check_generic -e "/bin/sh /usr/local/nagios/libexec/checkipsload.sh" -w ">5" -c ">70" -n "IPS Inspection Load"
IPS Inspection Load WARNING - result:11 match:>5 severities:warning

But if i tell nagios to run the same plugin as a service, will return something like this:
IPS Inspection Load OK - result: match:none

I use check_generic with other personal writen scripts and is working as expected.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem, because i do not understand why running this plugin behaves different when invoked from cli and when invoked from nagios.
Thank you

The relevand config below:
define command{
command_name check_generic
command_line $USER1$/check_generic $ARG1$
}
define service {
use TemplateService
host_name ips1
service_description InspectionLOAD
check_command check_generic! -e "/bin/sh /usr/local/nagios/libexec/checkipsload.sh" -w ">5" -c ">70" -n "IPS Inspection Load"
}
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Plugin ok from CLI, not ok when executed by nagios

Post by scottwilkerson »

I would run the test again OUTSIDE the libexec directory

e.g.

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_generic -e "/bin/sh /usr/local/nagios/libexec/checkipsload.sh" -w ">5" -c ">70" -n "IPS Inspection Load"
If this works, we would need to take a look at the check_generic plugin code to test it...
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
cosmin.neagu

Post by cosmin.neagu »

Strange, you are right, if i run it outside the libexec it shows me the same output as the one showed by nagios.
So what could be the difference between running the plugin fon libexec folder and outside the folder?

nagios@monitor:/tmp$ ls -ld /usr/local/nagios/libexec/
drwxrwxr-x 3 nagios nagios 4096 Apr 14 16:15 /usr/local/nagios/libexec/
nagios@monitor:/tmp$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_generic -e "/bin/sh /usr/local/nagios/libexec/checkipsload.sh" -w ">5" -c ">70" -n "IPS Inspection Load"
Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at (eval 3) line 1.
Argument "" isn't numeric in numeric gt (>) at (eval 4) line 1.
IPS Inspection Load OK - result: match:none

nagios@monitor:/usr/local/nagios/libexec$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_generic -e "/bin/sh /usr/local/nagios/libexec/checkipsload.sh" -w ">5" -c ">70" -n "IPS Inspection Load"
IPS Inspection Load WARNING - result:17 match:>5 severities:warning
cosmin.neagu

Post by cosmin.neagu »

Hi,
I found the problem, it was the fact that in checkipsload.sh, was a relative path defined instead of full path

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/expect -f expectips | sed -E 's/\r//g' | grep "Inspection Load" | tr -d '\n' | awk '{print $4}'

After i change the script will full path, everithing was ok
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/expect -f /usr/local/nagios/libexec/expectips | sed -E 's/\r//g' | grep "Inspection Load" | tr -d '\n' | awk '{print $4}'
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

cosmin.neagu wrote:I found the problem, it was the fact that in checkipsload.sh, was a relative path defined instead of full path
Good catch! expectips most likely was not in the nagios $PATH.
Cheers.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.