SNMP Question

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
tbishop

SNMP Question

Post by tbishop »

I have read all 4 pages of posts but still am lost :) I am a REAL NOOBIE to Nagios and have installed it on CentOS 6.5 and am able to bring up the main Nagios Core screen with it working... What I do not understand is how to plug in this page:

http://kb.digium.com/articles/FAQ/SERVE ... opup=false

I ran through SNMP Walk which I don't understand that well but I do get responses which I do understand and are
correct so I assume there will be no issues with port 161 etc... I've been through a lot of doc's and I just want to
know how I can plug this OID information into Nagios and yes how to do it :) :) :) Anyone who has who is willing
to share their config's on how to do this would much appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
Tom B.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: SNMP Question

Post by sreinhardt »

Well if you've used snmpwalk and found some oids that you wish to monitor. I would suggest trying check_snmp from the command line. Give it your host, community string, and OID to start with. Once you verify that you get a response that you are expecting, you can format -w and -c for warning and critical values, and use -l to rename the oid in the plugins output to something more human readable like "cpu load" or something similar. Try that out, and if you have trouble post what you tried and the responses received and we can work from there!
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.