Monitoring with nagios core

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kimjaggi

Monitoring with nagios core

Post by kimjaggi »

Hello,
I want to monitor different interfaces on DELL PC5548 stack switch, for example te1/0/1 and te 2/0/1. I did an snmpwalk to get the OIDs and then configure them in switch,cfg under services. It shows me OK status. Everything worked out but when I shutdown the interface nagios still showed the status OK which is totally because I pluged the cable out. Could anybody help me and guide me about the right steps to configure it. Below is the example of how I configured the service

define service{
use generic-service ; Inherit values from a template
host_name Switch03
service_description Link Status te 2/0/1
check_command check_snmp!-o .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.53 -C xyz
}

Thanks in advance!

Mod Edit: Please do not post unrelated questions in other people's threads. I have split your question into a new topic.
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Monitoring with nagios core

Post by abrist »

The oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.53 is part of the parent: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 which is an ifDesrc oid - essentially just a description of the interface.

The oid parent you want to use for up/down is 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8, and for the interface in question: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.53

ifDescr: http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6 ... 2.1.2.html
ifOperStatus: http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6 ... 2.1.8.html
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
kimjaggi

Post by kimjaggi »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I made the changes and it is working now.

I am new to nagios forum so was unable to create new discussion, will be careful in future
kimjaggi

Post by kimjaggi »

Thanks its working
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

kimjaggi wrote:I am new to nagios forum so was unable to create new discussion, will be careful in future
As a new user the first two posts need to be approved by a moderator. You should be fine moving forward.

I'll be closing this thread now, but feel free to open another if you need anything in the future!
Former Nagios employee