Null Value During Oracle Check

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
dcharles

Null Value During Oracle Check

Post by dcharles »

Hello,

I guess this is more of a Check_MK specific question, however it does relate to Nagios Core.

We are running Check_MK 1.2.0p2 and Nagios Core 3.4.1. We are trying to use Check_MK to monitor Oracle on our Oracle 11.2 host.

I’ve set up a manual check as

checks += [
( "db01", "oracle_version", "testuser", None ),

( "db01", "oracle_sessions", "testuser", (30, 35) )
]

The checks seem to work fine when the database is running, but when I bring the database down to test alerting, I get a null value for the Check_MK check, instead of any alerts.

Also, when I do a cmk –d, under the <<<oracle_version>>> and <<<oracle_sessions>>> sections of the output, there is no data.

My question is, is there a way to force a database check, when a database goes down or is offline? I think I understand why we’re getting a null value for the Check_MK check; there is no data coming from the database host since the database is down. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for your help in advance.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Null Value During Oracle Check

Post by sreinhardt »

It sounds like you are correct regarding the plugin\check always expecting data and not returning correctly if it doesn't receive it. However I can't really offer much help in the way of check_mk manual checks for configuration, since we rarely see it in use.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.