Nagios Email error -- return code 1

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
fm2ahmed

Nagios Email error -- return code 1

Post by fm2ahmed »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me what this error code means?
I got this error last night while there was an error on one of the host and that created an alert in Nagios. IN logs it says that it tried to send out the notification but then I /Team did not receive any alert for it. Below error is from the logs of Nagios.

Code: Select all

[15-05-2014 00:20:27] wproc: NOTIFY job 119622 from worker Core Worker 9883 is a non-check helper but exited with return code 1
It started to send out alerts in the morning as usual but this error happened last nighty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Farooq Ahmed
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Nagios Email error -- return code 1

Post by sreinhardt »

From the looks of it, that means that when core attempted to have a worked perform a NOTIFY job (likely for notifications as you suggested) that the result from the end process was 1, generally signalling some form of error. Unfortunately it does not tell us error output such as if it was unable to connect to the remote mail system, an issue with creating the message, or something else entirely. What sort of notification commands are you using? Have you had any similar issues? Did you happen to verify on the mail server that the mail was not received?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.