using contacts causing double email alert

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
hata_ph

Re: using contacts causing double email alert

Post by hata_ph »

milisa,

Adding contacts and contact_groups null to my top level generic-service-template do allow mix contacts/contact_groups in my services notification with only 1 single email alert.
Thanks for your help and I am appreciate all who help me get this far.
I might want to re-read the nagios-3.5.1 documentation about this issue...

Code: Select all

# generic service template definition
define service{
        name                            generic-service-template ; The 'name' of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           0       ; Service notifications are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
		notification_interval           720		; Only send notifications on status change by default.
		is_volatile                     0
		check_period                    24x7
		normal_check_interval           5
		retry_check_interval            1
		max_check_attempts              6
		notification_period             24x7
		notification_options            w,u,c,r
        contacts null
        contact_groups null
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }
millisa

Post by millisa »

Sure thing, glad it's starting to make sense.

The biggest risk you run by doing a setup with the nulls in your base service template is if you forget to put a contact or contact group on a service or somewhere in the chain for a service: You could end up with an important service that doesn't send a notification when you need it to (though I'd expect the config check will warn that a service has no contacts in that situation).

Consider not using contacts in your service definitions and moving to a purely contact groups based setup in the service and host definitions and templates; it'll make this issue simpler for you in the long run. (You'd still have contacts, but they'd exist just for inclusion in the contact groups).
hata_ph

Post by hata_ph »

milisa,

You are correct. Using contact_groups will reduce the chances of miss out important alert as you point out.
I was just confuse why service contact inherit connection from host contact as I see no mention of this connection in the official documentation.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagi ... tions.html

The reason to use contacts instead of contact_groups is by using contacts only I no need to define additional contact_groups in my setup.

EDIT:

Confirm the root cause if due to object inheritance. It seem like service contacts/contact_groups will inherite from host if not set properly.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... tance.html
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

hata_ph wrote:It seem like service contacts/contact_groups will inherite from host if not set properly.

This is correct. If a service has no contact_group, notification interval, or notification_period then it will be inherited from the host.
Former Nagios employee
hata_ph

Post by hata_ph »

tmcdonald wrote:
hata_ph wrote:It seem like service contacts/contact_groups will inherite from host if not set properly.

This is correct. If a service has no contact_group, notification interval, or notification_period then it will be inherited from the host.
contact_groups only or for both contacts and contact_groups?
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

contact_groups only. It is explained in the documentation.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
hata_ph

Post by hata_ph »

thanks all for the help :)
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'll go ahead and finally close this thread. If you need anything in the future, feel free to open another!
Former Nagios employee