Support for multiple cores?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
vamoroso

Support for multiple cores?

Post by vamoroso »

Granted I've only had a day to review the tool, so forgive me if this feature is available.

I think support for multiple Nagios Cores would be very useful. In fact it would mean the difference between Nagios XI possibly going to production or not in my environment. There are a number of ways to slice this up, either support for a distributed environment, a redundant environment, both, or a mix of both. The latter probably being the most useful. I haven't had a chance yet to experiment with multiple Cores per server, but treating the 'core' as an 'instance' might open up some possibilities as well. Perhaps a mechanism for managing NSCA deployments would also pair well w/ support for multiple cores.
vamoroso

Re: Support for multiple cores?

Post by vamoroso »

fyi, just saw the note regarding possible DNX integration. Looking forward to it!
egalstad

Post by egalstad »

We don't have plans to incorporate support for multiple Nagios Core instances on the same XI system. The main reason for this is the technical challenges associated with it. Its possible to do this with Nagios Core and NDOUtils support this setup. We actually did this with another project. However, integrating other components (PNP, NagiosQL, NagVis, etc.) makes this task increasingly difficult, so its not in our plans for XI.

Distributed monitoring is still possible with XI acting as the parent/top node. NSCA is installed, so child Nagios Core servers can feed data upstream to XI. DNX looks to be a far more robust method of handling most requirements for distributed monitoring, as it means central configuration is a more realistic possibility.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
chris

Post by chris »

Are you guys not cutting out on the medium to large enterprises this way?
From a commercial point of view I would expect this to be the 'one feature' that allows your product to distinct itself from the huge scope of "GNU/free" alternatives out there...

Even if this might mean not supporting some of the OSS features available at this point that possibly dont integrate as well into such a architecture.
I do think this is a substantial step in the right way (when looking at Cloud computing, colocation, large scale hosting and requirements that these type of environments might have)

rgrds,
<?php if(is_working()){ $work->state('dnd'); }else{ $work->state('Available');} ?>