How to change notification intervals in wizard made host

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
bryandb

How to change notification intervals in wizard made host

Post by bryandb »

Hi,

I have a bunch of hosts that were added thru running the xi_wizard, but I don't want to go to individual hosts/services to change the notification interval. How do I go about updating the notification interval for these hosts/services?

any help is greatly appreciate it.
mmestnik

Re: How to change notification intervals in wizard made host

Post by mmestnik »

This is what templates are for. I'm unsure of how the wizard you are using does it's templates, however you can put templates to use for you.

For each setting(or group of settings) you want make or use a template. By setting I mean a key->value pair. To have this template's value over-ride a host or service's value remove that value from the key in the host or service, thus causing the value from the template to be used.

You can create your own templates and replace existing ones. It would not be nessisary for you to change the template used by every host or service, if you only have one value to use for a given key. If you have a handfull of values then it's still a good idea to migrate to using templates... You can even have some templates that are identicle for later use.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

If they're all using the same template file, you could just modify the template. However, this will also change the setting for all hosts that use this template. The other option would be to create a new template with this setting in place so that any future hosts added will have this. The downside of this is that you still have to modify all of the existing hosts you want to change and switch their templates.
bryandb

Post by bryandb »

For example, I have a template named "xiwizard_windowsdesktop_host". I want to modify the notification intervals (in alert settings) and check intervals (in check settings), but when I go into the template, it shows them as blank. However, I can still receive e-mail notifications, but not at the interval that I wanted. The template is referencing "xiwizard_generic_host", but again when I go in that template they have blank in those settings as well.

Where do I see those inherit value?
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

The values might not be inherited, there are no defaults. I guess you could say that a root template is one that is not using any other template. If you follow a template's creation back to all of it's root templates and you can't find the setting then it's possible that the only place this is set is in the object it's self.

You would then just set the value in the template and clear it wherever you want the templates setting to be used.
bryandb

Post by bryandb »

Sounds good. That's what I have been doing: making changes on the Template level.