Network Devices Alerts and Ack

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
deepakitkar

Network Devices Alerts and Ack

Post by deepakitkar »

Hi,

I have few managed switches that I am monitoring using Nagios. The ports that are not connected shows Critical. And thus an alert is raised every 60 min(as per the rules defined).
What I would like to know:
1. Isn't there a different status for the port not plugged-in at all?
2. If the Alert on such port has been acknowledged, will it send another notification again in 60 min? If yes, then how can we suppress this notification until a cable is plugged into this port?
3. Any better way to handled this situation?
4. I would like our Network Team to get only true notifications/alerts.
5. Is there a way to configure/integrate a gsm modem or a mobile phone connected to linux server, to send sms alerts? Do we have any samples somehwere(I did a search in google but there isn't a complete instruction)
6. How is host and service escalation used?
7. How do I send alerts to Manage Engine Service Desk Plus from Nagios?

Thanks,
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Network Devices Alerts and Ack

Post by sreinhardt »

1) Unfortunately with most switches and routers that is not a different status or return value that they return to indicate not plugged in versus administrative down, or a recent device status change on the other end of the cable.

2)If you have acknowledged the alert it should not continue to send messages.

3)Yes there is in fact! I would suggest looking at the negate plugin documentation, there is specifically a command definition in the document that would directly apply to you. Instead of showing critical, these ports now show OK while down and critical if the status changes.

4)Could you give more direction on this, or would the negate plugin resolve this for you?

5) We do have some documentation on sms alerts, it may or may not be applicable in your situation. At least it could give you a good place to start.
MultiTech iSMS Integration With Nagios XI
A easy Tutorial to send SMS with Nagios

6) XI Notification Escalations

7)Is there an email address you can send to, or have you searched exchange.nagios.org for a plugin to do this? More detail on how that product expects to see alerts would be needed.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.