Fusion 'Unhandled' host, but XI clear

This support forum board is for questions relating to Nagios Fusion.
jwelch

Fusion 'Unhandled' host, but XI clear

Post by jwelch »

I am showing a persistent unhandled host in the Nagios Fusion (2012R1.5) Tactical Overview, but nothing is showing unhandled in the fused Nagios XI server Operations Center. I found that one server I had added that is unpingable (parent gateway unpingable also) seems to be the source of this unhandled warning in Fusion. (The host and gateway are acknowledged in XI.)

I removed the host from XI and the unhandled warning in Fusion went away. I added the host back to XI and both showed a warning. Then I acknowledged the host in XI and the XI Operations Center cleared up, but Fusion Tactical Overview still shows 1 unhandled host. (Fusion Operations Center screen does not show any problems so it matches XI.)

Note: The parent and host are both acknowledged in XI.

I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot this issue. Attached cropped screenshots attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Fusion 'Unhandled' host, but XI clear

Post by lmiltchev »

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue on my testbox. Can you click on the "Configure" menu in Fusion, and post a screenshot of this page?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jwelch

Post by jwelch »

Here's the screenshot of the Fusion Configure settings (not much there).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jwelch

Post by jwelch »

I seem to be able to reproduce the symptoms at will. This what I did:

NagiosXI:
1. Use Generic Network Device wizard to create a host named testgw with address 4.3.2.1 (any unreachable ip should do). (no parent)
2. Use Generic Network Device wizard to create a host named testhost with address 4.3.2.2 (ditto). (parent set to testgw)
3. Verify that both hosts show up in the Operations Center display. 1 down 1 unreachable.

Fusion:
1. Verify that fusion Tactical Overview matches the NagiosXI Operations Screen (1 host down, 1 unreachable).

NagiosXI:
1. Acknowledge testgw.
2. Acknowledge testhost.
3. Verify that the Operations Center display is clear.

Fusion:
1. Check the Tactical Overview. On my system, the down host is gone, but the unreachable one still remains.
2. Check the Operations Center display. On my Fusion system, the unreachable host does not display (matches the NagiosXI Operations Center display).

(I forgot to check before I deleted the test hosts, but I seem to remember that the Tactical Overview on NagiosXI did not show the unreachable test host
after it was acknowledged.)
slansing

Post by slansing »

Is this with any Nagios XI server attached to the Fusion server? Or with a certain one, what version?
jwelch

Post by jwelch »

Currently I only have one XI server up. I've been updating XI as new versions have been released. I noticed this problem when it was running a couple versions back (2012R1.8?) It's now at Nagios XI 2012R2.1 and that's the version I used to reproduce the behavior in the previous post.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I followed all of the steps that you outlined, and here are the results:

Before ackowledgement

In XI:
Tactical Overview: 1 down, 1 unreachable
Operations Center: 1 down, 1 unreachable

In Fusion:

After ackowledgement

In XI:

In Fusion:
Operations Center: 0 down, 0 unreachable

I will have to check with the developer if this is indeed an expected behavior (not to show acknowledged problems in the Op Center in Fusion).
jwelch

Post by jwelch »

On my servers, when I acknowledge the test-rtr (parent), it clears from both the XI Tactical Overview and Operations Center and the Fusion Tactical Overview and Operations Center. When I acknowledge the test-host (child), it clears from the XI Tactical Overview and Operations Center, and from the Fusion Operations Center, but there remains 1 unhandled item in the 2nd column of the Fusion Tactical Overview:
1 Down 1 Unreachable
1 Acknowledged 1 Unhandled
1 Acknowledged
1 Disabled

Note: There is a 'Blocking Outage' showing in the XI Tactical Overview, but I didn't see any way to acknowledge that.

To verify that the Unhandled item was the test-host, I clicked on '1 Unhandled' and fusion took me to XI with:
Showing 0-0 of 0 total records
Filters: Host=Unreachable,Not Acknowledged,Not In Downtime,Checks Enabled Clear Filter

I would expect that the Tactical Overview would not show any Unhandled items in this situation. If we use the fusion tactical overview as the primary screen for monitoring nagios, then having something showing as Unhandled when it is not is a bad thing. The operators would have to either constantly keep checking XI to make sure there are really no unhandled items, or they would have to ignore the unhandled alert in fusion which could lead to ignoring real problems later on. We can't use the Operations Center, since it doesn't display data for Core. (I have one XI and one Core server so far.) The Tactical Summary might work, but I forgot to see whether or not it showed the erronous Unhandled host. (and between the colors and the Unhandled numbers not blinking when > 0, I can barely tell the difference between a 0 and a 1 at a normal reading distance. (Yes, I'm old ; )
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I filed an internal bug report on the issue and will let you know when we have a patch for it.
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

This was a brain bleeder :o , but I believe I have it resolved.

unzip the attached file and place in
/usr/local/nagiosfusion/html/includes/utils-tacdata.inc.php

on the fusion server
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com