Multiple questions ?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
romuald

Multiple questions ?

Post by romuald »

Hi Ethan,

I have few questions for Nagios XI ?

- Why Cacti ? and Why isn't incorporate with the Interface (I think that it is going to be necessary to withdraw it if he is not incorporated with Nagios?)

- Your version of PNP4Nagios is 0.4 but how do you do to include PNP 0.6 (based on Kohana).

- I think that Nagios XI must have less or not scrollbar in this GUI (scrollbar in Web page is to old now for my opinion).

- PNP Graph must auto to size in dashboard.

- Nagios OSS Core interface will benefit from Nagios XI development ?

- Nagios OSS Core wiil be most open-mindeed of community developpers or not (GUI, Performance code, etc....) ?

PS : I think that the community is going to be afraid of this big turn. That Nagios XI is profitable, I agree with you on the vision of the open Source (do not mean total free, just the code must be open). But strategically to counter Icinga, I think that the branch OSS must really be opened to the ideas of the community for the evolution of Core (especially for big architectures).

I think that Nagios XI is in double sharp side for the opinions of the community. Some shall see it as a treason. And others (if the community is really involved in the evolution of the branch OSS) as a new area.

But the reussite of this cape is very delicate and I wish you a lot of courage

Fronteau Romuald
egalstad

Re: Multiple questions ?

Post by egalstad »

Cacti is installed as a standalone tool for those that want it. UI integration hasn't been done because most people we've worked with are satisfied with PNP graphing capabilities tied with SNMP monitoring. Whether it stays or goes remains to be seen.

PNP is only used 1) as a low-level bridge between Nagios Core performance data and RRDTool and 2) to generate the image. No portions of the PNP UI were used or integrated with XI. The PNP 0.6 Kohana interface is not relevant, as performance graphs are now natively integrated with the XI UI.

Some screens will loose their scrollbar soon. Others never. The main content is an iframe, and content size can differ. Iframes were used because they offer the most flexibility when integrated with external data.

Autosizing the dashlets for perf data graphs is a possibility, but requires some additional javascript magic we haven't implemented. This is on our radar as a todo item.

Core and other OSS components will benefit from XI as the result of our customers' experiences with it. That might mean scalability or flexibility improvements, or additional addons that result. As I mentioned before, there are plenty of options for the OSS community to choose from. No one has to choose XI - they can use Core and a plethora of addons to extend their Nagios install any way they wish.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.