Question about Switch Monitoring and Host Groups

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Box293
Too Basu

Question about Switch Monitoring and Host Groups

Post by Box293 »

I have used the switch montioring wizard and quite like the Bandwidth graphs that are produced for each port (in and out traffic).

Is it somehow possible to setup a bandwidth service (for a particular port) that is assigned to a host group (that host group contains all the hosts you want to perform the bandwidth monitoring on for that specific port) instead of being assigned directly to a host?

I ask this because of the following scenario:
  • We have multiple sites that all have the same SonicWALL firewalls
    Each SonicWALL always has Port 1 as the WAN port and Port 3 as the LAN port
    Each time we connect a new site we run the switch monitoring wizard, we are doing the same thing over and over again
I was thinking that I could cut out some of the initial setup steps (and human typing errors) by:
  • Adding the host first
    Add the host to the common host group
    Having a service for port 1 and a service for port 3
    Assign these services to the common host group
    Each time I add a new host I just add it to the common host group and it will do the required bandwidth monitoring
I've had a play to see if I can make this work but I think there is more going on in the background than just simple host group membership.

Basically the Status Information I get when I try this is "var/lib/mrtg/10.152.89.114_1.rrd does not exist."

I assume that the switch wizard does some stuff in the backend to setup some stuff.

Is there any way I can achieve what I am talking about here (using host groups), or do I need to run the switch wizard each time?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about Switch Monitoring and Host Groups

Post by admin »

This is possible and you are on the right track.

The piece that is missing for you right now (and the piece that the switch wizard does behind the scenes) is to add the switch to MRTG's configuration.

Take a look at the MRTG config file (/etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg). You will see the entries for the switches that were monitoring using the switch wizard. The switch wizard uses the MRTG "cfgmaker" command to scan for ports on the switch, and then adds the information to the MRTG config file.

You can run the cfgmaker command manually for the switches you want to monitor and then add them to MRTG. Within 5 minutes, the RRD files should be populated and your service checks should work.

Hope that helps!
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Question about Switch Monitoring and Host Groups

Post by Box293 »

Thanks for that, I'll have a play around and see how I go.