Cisco Switch - Best Practices and/or recommendations?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jsherrod

Cisco Switch - Best Practices and/or recommendations?

Post by jsherrod »

I'm new to Nagios. I've been playing around with the Monitoring Wizard and added a Cisco switch. Like a previous thread I noticed that the interfaces were listed as random port numbers. I will email the /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg file to support shortly.

My question the forum is........ Are there any recommended best practices or recommendations for adding network devices. I would like to be able to perform basic network monitoring tasks such as up/down notifications, bandwidth monitoring, input/output errors, network module status, latency, etc.

I've played with a few of the user community plug-ins. For example check_cisco_modules.sh I've added the plug-in, configured the check command and defined a service. Unfortunately I'm monitoring a device that I know has a bad sup module and it's claiming "OK - No Bad Modules".

If someone can point me in the right direction on how to get started adding my Cisco network devices to Nagios, it would be greatly appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cisco Switch - Best Practices and/or recommendations?

Post by admin »

The switch monitoring wizard and do bandwidth and port status (up/down) monitoring. It doesn't support input/output errors, network module status, latency, etc.

We don't have any in-house gear to test the check_cisco_modules.sh plugin. Does anyone else have some suggestions or pointers that could help?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Ethan Galstad
President
jsherrod

Re: Cisco Switch - Best Practices and/or recommendations?

Post by jsherrod »

I was able to find a Plugin that correctly determined the bad supervisor module I have is down.

check_snmp_environment.pl
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... re/details