Server is running, can't find clients?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
uif_jlh

Server is running, can't find clients?

Post by uif_jlh »

I have the NagiosXI Server going along fine... Mostly. I had to get a copy of VMWorkstation to get it running. VMPlayer by default only does bridged networking on the VM Image. :(

I had to have it running on VMWorkstation to change the NIC to local & be able to get an IP on my local subnet. So the server is doing ok, I have it on a USB Drive, from my workstation. Performance is ok... I'm testing.

But I can't get ANY hosts to connect. I've tried printers, and Window Clients using the NSClient++ installer :(
I've checked the windows firewalls & they are allowing the client to pass through.

What am I missing ?

Thank you !

JLH
egalstad

Re: Server is running, can't find clients?

Post by egalstad »

Sounds like there might be some routing issues on the vmware image. If you login to the virtual machine are you able to ping the servers/printers/etc. you're trying to monitor?

You can run the Centos network config tool to change your gateway settings, etc. by logging in as root and running the following command:

system-config-network
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
uif_jlh

Re: Server is running, can't find clients?

Post by uif_jlh »

I have to admit I "bailed" on VMware for now. :arrow:

I have my NagiosXI VM running in VirtualBox with bridged networking.
It runs GREAT. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have 5 clients so far. My laptop where the VM is running. I only get pings to reply. I installed the windows client, added the server IP and password (both ends). ???

I have 2 HP printers w/ SMNP2.x running... works great. I'm waiting for the one Lexmark to refresh in the GUI

I have the Windows client on a VM server on another subnet. I get no responses. Do I need to poke the "router guy" and see what he's blocking?

I guess that is 6 with the NagiosXI Server.

What are others doing?

JLH :D