nagios service fails to start

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
feltron_cq

nagios service fails to start

Post by feltron_cq »

Hi there,
I've followed the directions to install Nagios at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ ... edora.html
Installed nagios-4.0.2 and nagios-plugins-1.5 on Fedora 19
Everything goes well and the /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg reveals no errors, but when I try to start nagios service it fails:
nagios.service - LSB: start and stop Nagios monitoring server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios)
Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Thu 2013-12-05 08:19:09 EST; 16min ago
Process: 7734 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/nagios.service
ââ7788 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
ââ7790 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios --worker /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh
ââ7791 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios --worker /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh
ââ7792 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios --worker /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh
ââ7793 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios --worker /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.qh
ââ7809 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Dec 05 08:14:10 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: wproc: Registry request: name=Core Worker 7793;pid=7793
Dec 05 08:14:10 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: wproc: Registry request: name=Core Worker 7790;pid=7790
Dec 05 08:14:11 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: Successfully launched command file worker with pid 7809
Dec 05 08:16:02 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;SOFT;1;HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden - 4909 bytes in 0.005 second response time
Dec 05 08:17:02 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;SOFT;2;HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden - 4909 bytes in 0.004 second response time
Dec 05 08:18:02 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;SOFT;3;HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden - 4909 bytes in 0.004 second response time
Dec 05 08:19:02 localhost.localdomain nagios[7788]: SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;WARNING;HARD;4;HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden - 4909 bytes in 0.004 second response time
Dec 05 08:19:09 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: nagios.service operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 05 08:19:09 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: start and stop Nagios monitoring server.
Dec 05 08:19:09 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit nagios.service entered failed state.
I've tried to work this out from other posts such as http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... lsb#p75758 but the modified /etc/init.d/nagios file suggested does not work for me (gets error at line 80 - something to do with daemon)

I'm pretty new to Linux so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: nagios service fails to start

Post by abrist »

feltron_cq wrote:Installed nagios-4.0.2 and nagios-plugins-1.5 on Fedora 19
feltron_cq wrote:I've tried to work this out from other posts such as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21721&p=75758&hilit=lsb#p75758 but the modified /etc/init.d/nagios file suggested does not work for me (gets error at line 80 - something to do with daemon)
Most of those script fixes were for ubuntu/debian derivatives. Is the error you quoted from before you made the changes to the init script or afterwards?
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
feltron_cq

Post by feltron_cq »

No the "Failed to start LSB" error was immediately after the Fedora quick start install.

Then I researched this on the forum and found the reference to the /etc/init.d/nagios file and decided to try this, which resulted in the Daemon error, so I have now reverted to the original /etc/init.d/nagios file.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Do you have sendmail or postfix mail server installed on this system?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
feltron_cq

Post by feltron_cq »

lmiltchev wrote:Do you have sendmail or postfix mail server installed on this system?
Yes sendmail and postfix appear to be installed. Not sure whether they should be! Main usage of this box is as a Mythtv server and frontend.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I wanted to make sure you had a mail server installed - Nagios needs it for sending notifications. Anyway, I will install nagios-4.0.2 and nagios-plugins-1.5 on Fedora 19 on my test box and try to recreate the issue, and find a possible solution. It may take some time.
feltron_cq

Post by feltron_cq »

lmiltchev wrote:I wanted to make sure you had a mail server installed - Nagios needs it for sending notifications. Anyway, I will install nagios-4.0.2 and nagios-plugins-1.5 on Fedora 19 on my test box and try to recreate the issue, and find a possible solution. It may take some time.
That is kind, thank you. I wish you success in finding the same problem!!!!
slansing

Post by slansing »

We will let you know!
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I wish you success in finding the same problem!!!!
I did, in fact, run into the same issue... Just wanted to give you heads up. We will have to do some more digging into it.
feltron_cq

Post by feltron_cq »

lmiltchev wrote:
I wish you success in finding the same problem!!!!
I did, in fact, run into the same issue... Just wanted to give you heads up. We will have to do some more digging into it.
Sorry to be a pain, but just wondering if there's any progress on this please?