OpenSuSE 12.3 & Nagios-Plugins - Directories wrong

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jbruyet

OpenSuSE 12.3 & Nagios-Plugins - Directories wrong

Post by jbruyet »

Hey all, I'm trying to install nagios-plugins-1.5 on an OpenSuSE 12.3 workstation and I've hit a bit of a snag. Everything works up until I do the following command:

Code: Select all

# chown -R nagios.nagios /usr/local/nagios/libexec
Then I get the error:

chown: cannot access ‘/usr/local/nagios/libexec’: No such file or directory
Libexec isn't there but there is a lib, and lib has the check commands in it. I've redone the install using a .tar.gz file that worked on another workstation and I've downloaded a new file but still no joy. I was just going to change the chown command from /libexec to /lib but I was afraid that would mess things up down the road. Any ideas on how to get this to work right?

Thanks,

Joe B
jbruyet

Re: OpenSuSE 12.3 & Nagios-Plugins - Directories wrong

Post by jbruyet »

Oh, and I'm following the instructions from this page:

http://www.octopuscs.com/blogs/Linux/Ho ... n-openSuse

Thanks,

Joe B
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

jbruyet wrote:I was just going to change the chown command from /libexec to /lib but I was afraid that would mess things up down the road.
Your assumption was correct. Run the chown command on the directory containing the check plugins. Suse installs these packages to non-standard locations (as far as most of the docs are concerned).
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
jbruyet

Post by jbruyet »

Ok, I'm down to the point where I restart xinetd and I've hit another obstacle. Here's the error:

linux-cgcw:/home/jobee/nagios/nrpe-2.15 # service xinetd restart
Job for xinetd.service failed. See 'systemctl status xinetd.service' and 'journalctl -n' for details.
linux-cgcw:/home/jobee/nagios/nrpe-2.15 # 
And here's journalctl -n:

Jan 14 21:15:09 linux-cgcw.site xinetd[2579]: 2579 {init_services} no services. Exiting...
Jan 14 21:15:10 linux-cgcw.site xinetd[2571]: Starting INET services. (xinetd)..failed
Jan 14 21:15:10 linux-cgcw.site systemd[1]: xinetd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=7
Jan 14 21:15:10 linux-cgcw.site systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Starts the xinet daemon. Be aware that xinetd doesn't start if no service is configured to run under it. To enable xinetd services go to YaST Network Services (xinetd) section..
Jan 14 21:15:10 linux-cgcw.site systemd[1]: Unit xinetd.service entered failed state
lines 1-11/11 (END)
I tried to install LSB and it's already installed. I've read that if there are no services to run then xinetd won't start but I see nrpe in xinetd and it has the --- in it which, according to the help, means it's inactive. If I try to activate nrpe I get a message stating that the package nagios-nrpe-client was successfully installed. I checked and I see that I must have installed both nagios-plugins and nrpe previously as packages from the repository. SO, should I remove the packages or remove the tar.gz installs? Do a reinstall?

Thanks,

Joe B
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

jbruyet wrote:SO, should I remove the packages or remove the tar.gz installs? Do a reinstall?
Either, but you should only install the agent through 1 method (repo OR source). If suse has the package in their repo, you may wish to use that as the source installer script may not have a compatible init script currently.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.