MRTG for network activity won't work

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jbruyet

MRTG for network activity won't work

Post by jbruyet »

Hey all, I'm working on monitoring the network interface on one of my servers with MRTG and I have again hit a snag. According to the instructions here:

http://www.sans.edu/student-files/prese ... _notes.pdf

I need to enter the OID for the label of the network interface. I searched for the correct OID, found it and put it in my config file:

Code: Select all

Target[netDictum2]:.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.65539&.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.65539:public@192.168.2.29
MaxBytes[netDictum2]: 1000000000
Options[netDictum2]: growright, gauge, nopercent
YLegend[netDictum2]: Dictum2 Bandwidth Usage
Legend1[netDictum2]: Outbound bytes/sec:
Legend2[netDictum2]: Inbound bytes/sec:
Legend3[netDictum2]:
Legend4[netDictum2]:
LegendI[netDictum2]: Out :
LegendO[netDictum2]: In :
Title[netDictum2]: Dictum2 Bandwidth Usage
PageTop[netDictum2]: <H1>Dictum2 Bandwidth Usage</H1>
However, when I run the code I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

root@FreeNag:/usr/home/jobee/Config # /usr/local/bin/mrtg /usr/home/jobee/Config/mrtg_192.168.2.29.cfg
2014-04-05 15:38:31: WARNING: Expected a number but got 'HP Network Team #1'
2014-04-05 15:38:31: WARNING: Expected a number but got 'HP Network Team #1'
2014-04-05 15:38:31: ERROR: Target[netdictum2][_IN_] ' $target->[3]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
2014-04-05 15:38:31: ERROR: Target[netdictum2][_OUT_] ' $target->[3]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
Use of uninitialized value $inlast in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/mrtg line 1044.
Use of uninitialized value $outlast in pattern match (m//) at /usr/local/bin/mrtg line 1047.
root@FreeNag:/usr/home/jobee/Config #
Notice the two Warning lines saying they got "HP Network Team #1." According to the instructions that tells me I'm using the correct OID but I'm guessing that MRTG is looking for a numerical value. So, the error message tells me I'm wrong but it's also telling me I used the correct OID for that interface. Any ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Joe B
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: MRTG for network activity won't work

Post by sreinhardt »

I would pose the same question I did in your other post regarding mrtg support, only because this doesn't seem to be a nagios specific issue and I think they might be able to get to the root of the issue a little quicker. Certainly feel free to provide more information, if you think we are the best people to look at it, we are definitely happy to help either way.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
jbruyet

Re: MRTG for network activity won't work

Post by jbruyet »

Hi sreinhardt, I just read that other post. Like I said in that other post I was hoping to get an answer here because the MRTG support options are less user-friendly than they are here.

Thanks,

Joe B