Nagios is Frozen

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
furqan

Nagios is Frozen

Post by furqan »

Hello everybody, i am using nagios core 4.0.6 on centos 6.x. last wednesday we had a power shortage and as soon as the power returned nagios server was restarted , but the problem i am facing now is that web interace is accessebile but its frozen. what i mean by frozen is : no email notifications, log file not updating since last wednesday, cannot commit restart from web page, cannot commit scheduling queue. personally i have tried every possibile thing which i could, like checking any unwanted process, killing process. restarting service nagios, restarting apache, restarting syslog.
and i dont have any idea what and how it went wrong. please try to reply me even if you know anything closer to that.
thankyou
slansing

Re: Nagios is Frozen

Post by slansing »

What is the current output of:

Code: Select all

service nagios status

service ndo2db status

tail -50 /var/log/messages
You said that the web interface is accessible, but what happens when you do try to use it? Do you get strange error messages? Can you not actually click links or buttons? Can you scroll through a page which has a scroll bar? Does the nagios log say anything at all? From around that time?:

tail -30 /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
tail -30 /var/log/httpd/error_log

Please use CODE wraps, highlight any of the text that you are pasting from your SSH session and click the "Code" button above your reply's text box.
furqan

Post by furqan »

service nagios status
is running
    service ndo2db status
unrecognized service 
yes web interface is accessebile with all its functionalities but the last check of the services i see there is of 30-04-2014 12:00 , and same is the case if i go to event log via web interface i see log till 30-04-2014 12:00 . trying to commit to force the new schedulling time it takes a lot of time and in the end tells me gateway timout error. looking inside /usr/local/nagios/var/archives i see files till 30/04/2014.

[img]
logmessages.png
[/img]
[img]
var nagios log.png
[/img]
[img]
apache log error.png
[/img]

i am sorry i was unable to copy it so i upload some screen shots.
thanks a million for your support.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

In your last image, you are showing a nagios version of 3.5.1, could you show what you did to install 4.0.6 and where it is showing you that it is that version? /var/log/messages, doesn't seem to show anything in particular pertaining to nagios, unless you have vastly changed the directory names. I would agree though, that your nagios log does not show any activity since 4/30 for one reason or another.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
furqan

Post by furqan »

followed this link to upgrade http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/upgrading.html . followed each step except first two. and yes i didnt change any directory, and i say i have an upgraded version because i see it on my web interface (homepage), anyway i dont get any solution or any hint how to solve this issue. If you can find me any solution i would be very thankful.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Can you run the following commands and show us the output in code wraps?

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Note: Modify the paths to nagios and nagios.cfg if you need to.

grep nag /etc/group
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
furqan

Post by furqan »

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Results
[img]
nagios config file.png
[/img]

grep nag /etc/group
Results

nagios:x:500:apache
nagcmd:x:501:nagios,apache
furqan

Post by furqan »

Well checking the archive log messages in /var/log
that server is only executing checks on the localhost.
btw i am sending you the logs from the moment it stopped working, there are several thousands line which i dont understand. please help me if they are comprehensive for you.
i am attaching the file because it has too many characters.

hint:power went off at this hour Apr 30 12:05:33.

Want to add one more thing, i tried to execute checks on remote hosts via terminal and they work fine.
Attachments
messages-.txt
(144.97 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
Last edited by slansing on Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Please do not multi-post, you will bump yourself lower on the to-be-replied-to list. Edit your previous post to add new information if you are the last poster.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

When you installed nagios previously, or the past tech did, was this done via source install or rpm? If you aren't sure, the easiest way to tell is:

rpm -qa | grep -i nagios
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
furqan

Post by furqan »

i tried this command and i the results, i am sorry that everytime i attach a screen shot , just because i am unable to copy and paste from terminal.
[img]
rpm command.png
[/img]
i am available for any further information.