pnp4nagios - perfdata empty

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
wf-lraymond

pnp4nagios - perfdata empty

Post by wf-lraymond »

Hey all, been a happy N3 user forever and doing some consulting and migrating a whole data center over to amazon. So I am using a stock Ubuntu 14.04LTS install, have have the latest 4.06 nagios compiled, working and reporting nicely along with 2 test remote servers via NRPE. My version 3 I used pnp4nagios and did it's job so I thought that was the way to continue.

I have things compiled, the install page was all green with dependencies all good. I added the 2 template entries, added a srvpnp to the localhost load, and restarted (no errors). I saw on the service page the new little box that I remember, a mouse over showed nothing though. Clicking I got to a page;
domain.com/pnp4nagios/index.php/graph?host=localhost&srv=Current Load

The page has the error: Please check the documentation for information about the following error.

perfdata directory "/usr/local/pnp4nagios/var/perfdata/localhost" is empty. Please check your Nagios config. Read FAQ online

The FAQ and doc's only go into v2 and v3 of nagios. I looked and the correct owner does own that perfdata folder, and for testing I even did a chmod 777 on that folder.

So, the quesion comes full circle to;
1. Is pnp4nagios the easiest to setup for basic graphing of certain services.
2. If so, how can I debug this better
3. If not, what is a good way to graph some basic services in nagios4.

Thanks
tmcdonald

Re: pnp4nagios - perfdata empty

Post by tmcdonald »

I guess my first question is whether or not NPCD is running:

Code: Select all

service npcd status
Former Nagios employee
slansing

Post by slansing »

Well I am not extremely well versed on PNP usage however yes, there are alternatives:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Ad ... os/details
http://nagiosgraph.sourceforge.net/

I believe that the PNP version you are running would have documentation on their site, PNP4Nagios is not produced or maintained by Nagios Enterprises, it is a third party project. I don't think that upgrading to core 4 from core 3 would really have a major impact on PNP specifically as paths should still be constant between the Nagios versions in your specific case.

Are the permissions on this file/directory consistent? Is there actually a localhost file there? Are you seeing the same error for other hosts/services? Finally, is that directory consistent with what PNP4nagios shows usage for in their documentation?
wf-lraymond

Post by wf-lraymond »

tmcdonald wrote:I guess my first question is whether or not NPCD is running:

service npcd status
Odd I never saw that going through the doc's, but it wasn't;

service npcd status
npcd is not running

/etc/init.d/npcd start
Starting npcd: done.

So, that process is running, but nothing in the perfdata. I compared it to my 3.x install thats running and do see permissions are the same, and the perfdata folder has all my servers, so I'm trying to see if there is a way to enable more debugging, etc.

Thanks.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Yep, you can enable debug logging (I believe to your syslog) via the process_perfdata.cfg:

http://docs.pnp4nagios.org/pnp-0.6/verify#debug_logfile
wf-lraymond

Post by wf-lraymond »

Thanks, the output of the perfdata.log file shows the following when I run the process_perf.pl from the cli;

2014-05-16 20:02:15 [20549] [2] Default Timeout: 15 secs.
2014-05-16 20:02:15 [20549] [2] Config Timeout: 15 secs.
2014-05-16 20:02:15 [20549] [2] Actual Timeout: 15 secs.
2014-05-16 20:02:15 [20549] [1] process_perfdata.pl-0.6.21 starting in SYNC Mode
2014-05-16 20:02:15 [20549] [1] Cant find Nagios Environment. Exiting ....
Looking around I did see one variable that was not set (well was set to 0) where my working was 1 that is attributed;
enable_environment_macros=0

So I did update that to 1, and restarted all services but still see the same error. There are 2 other threads about nagios v4 and broken pnp4nagios, but still going to continue looking around/testing.

Thanks.
slansing

Post by slansing »

Can you share these two files?:

/usr/local/nagios/etc/pnp/process_perfdata.cfg

/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Looks like PNP does not know where nagios is... which hopefully should be a quick fix.
wf-lraymond

Post by wf-lraymond »

Can you share these two files?:
CODE: SELECT ALL
/usr/local/nagios/etc/pnp/process_perfdata.cfg
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
There is no /usr/local/nagios/etc/pnp folder. The install put that under /usr/local/pnp4nagios (not sure if that is why), but I will include the /usr/local/pnp4nagios/etc/process_perfdata here.
Attachments
process_perfdata.cfg
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 1152 times
nagios.cfg
(43.98 KiB) Downloaded 794 times
slansing

Post by slansing »

What is the output of:

which rrdtool

cat /usr/local/nagios/etc/commands.cfg | grep 'perfdata'
Do you have:

process_perf_data 1
On your hosts/services which you expect graphs for?

Were you planning on using bulk perfdata processing? If so it does not appear as though you followed the PNP documentation to properly enable this, I did notice that you have some of the proper fields (not all of them) at the base of your nagios.cfg
wf-lraymond

Post by wf-lraymond »

Not bulk if I remember. It's a small network of only 5 or so servers, and I only want to graph server load, maybe disk/I which I had done years ago using pnp, version 3 of nagios. Server setup looks like;

define service{
         use                    generic-service,srv-pnp
         hostgroup_name         remote
         service_description    Server Load
         check_command          check_nrpe!check_load
         max_check_attempts     3
         }

define command{
        command_name    check_local_load
        command_line    $USER1$/check_load -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$
        }
Now the above does work as I am getting data like OK - load average: 1.83, 1.69, 1.15

Other items;

which rrdtool
/usr/bin/rrdtool

cat /usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg | grep 'perfdata'
# host_perfdata_file and service_perfdata_file options in the main config file.
# 'process-host-perfdata' command definition
	command_name	process-host-perfdata
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$LASTHOSTCHECK$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$HOSTSTATE$\t$HOSTATTEMPT$\t$HOSTSTATETYPE$\t$HOSTEXECUTIONTIME$\t$HOSTOUTPUT$\t$HOSTPERFDATA$\n" >> /usr/local/nagios/var/host-perfdata.out
# 'process-service-perfdata' command definition
	command_name	process-service-perfdata
	command_line	/usr/bin/printf "%b" "$LASTSERVICECHECK$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICESTATE$\t$SERVICEATTEMPT$\t$SERVICESTATETYPE$\t$SERVICEEXECUTIONTIME$\t$SERVICELATENCY$\t$SERVICEOUTPUT$\t$SERVICEPERFDATA$\n" >> /usr/local/nagios/var/service-perfdata.out
  command_name process-service-perfdata-for-nagiosgraph

templates.cfg has;
process_perf_data               1       	; Process performance data
I know Ubuntu 14.04 made a lot of apache changes, but I'm not sure if it's just a path missing somewhere, etc.

Thanks for all the help so far.