Sticky bit set for group for directory /var/spool/nagios/cmd

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
shubhendu

Sticky bit set for group for directory /var/spool/nagios/cmd

Post by shubhendu »

Wanted to understand the use of setting the sticky bit for group for the directory /var/spool/nagios/cmd in installed root.
The current permission for the directory looks as dtwxrwsr-x.

Can we remove the same and set the permissions as 0775 (drwxrwxr-x) for this directory?

Regards,
Shubhendu
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Sticky bit set for group for directory /var/spool/nagios

Post by sreinhardt »

The nagios command pipe, generally located at /usr/local/nagios/var/spool/rw/nagios.cmd, should never have the sticky bit set on it, the parent folder may have it for dealing with the query handler. It is not necessary however, and after testing the file is still created correctly. Setting 775 should be just fine for the parent folder, please make sure that your nagios.cmd and nagios.qh are like the ones below when you are done and after a service nagios restart.

Code: Select all

prw-rw---- 1 nagios nagios 0 Jun 17 09:59 nagios.cmd
srw-rw---- 1 nagios nagios 0 Jun 17 09:59 nagios.qh
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.