install the Agent on the the system that i want to monitor

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Ladi

install the Agent on the the system that i want to monitor

Post by Ladi »

I have being working on nagios on solaris. But not am just starting with linux. Please what i need now is to install the Agent on the the system that i want to monitor. I have one on linux (ubuntu) and second one is window server that needs to monitored. Please can you give me a link to download the NRPE and the necessary things to install on it.

I will be glad to hear from you.

Regards,
Ladi

Mod Note: I have split your topic as it is now dealing with a separate issue from your original topic
tmcdonald

Re: install the Agent on the the system that i want to monit

Post by tmcdonald »

Here is our NRPE documentation including installation and configuration:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf

And here is NCPA, an agent that will work on Windows:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/ncpa ... index.html
Former Nagios employee
Ladi

Post by Ladi »

Hi all,

Thanks for the links. Pls am having with issues with my nagios user . I can't login with the nagios user on my ubuntu so as to modify my configurations, but I can log on with the root user and root user does not have access to all this file. Pls I will be glad to hear from.

Regards
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

The root user should have access to all files on a system. What files are you having trouble accessing?
Former Nagios employee
Ladi

Post by Ladi »

Hi tmcdonald,

I don't have access to usr/local/nagios/etc/objects

I dont have access to the files under objects i.e command.cfg, window.cfg. When i do ls -lart on the file, i could see that is only nagios user that has access to the file, i try to switch to the user but the password is not working.

Please what can i do. I awaiting your swift response.

Best Regards.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Unless someone specifically changed permissions to something very unlikely, root always has access to all files on a Unix filesystem.

You don't need to switch to the nagios user to be able to edit the files, you can do so as root. The nagios user will need access to the files after you're done modifying them, which can be done with the command:

Code: Select all

chown -R nagios /usr/local/nagios
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
Ladi

Post by Ladi »

Hi tmcdonald,

i tried to open the file with text editor and am unable to save the file, its keep saying i dont have permission to the file.

Am using a root user. I try to use the command you gave me , but its keeping saying operational not permitted.

Am trying to use vi editor now. But i would appreciate if you can assist me.

Many thanks
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

For fun, please type the following command, exactly as written (copy and paste it), and then paste the results back to your reply in this forum:

find /usr/local/nagios/etc -ls
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
Ladi

Post by Ladi »

Hi tmcdonald,

kindly find the attached output.

Regards.
Attachments
output.PNG
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Thank you. It was me (eloyd) that asked for that, not tmcdonald, by the way.

This tells me that your protections are set properly on the files, so there should be no reason why root cannot edit the files you need to change. Make sure that you are logged in as root and not yourself or the nagios user before editing. You can find out what user you are logged in as by typing "id" (short for identification) without the quotes. You should see something like this:

# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
If you do not see the first part that says uid=0(root) then you are not the root user. You may need to type "sudo -i" first to become root.