SOME graphs broken after upgrade

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
highness

SOME graphs broken after upgrade

Post by highness »

We did an upgrade to XI 2014R1.2 when it first became available. The upgrade went pretty much without a hitch. A few days later, we noticed that a couple of our graphs quit working, but the other 1000+ work fine.

Of course, the two that aren't working are the ones that our team needs to be looking at.

The service that we're trying to graph is for Active VPN Sessions. It just comes up blank. All the other services

The service returns the value ok, but it just won't graph it.

Any suggestions?
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: SOME graphs broken after upgrade

Post by abrist »

Could you post the output of one of the vpn checks? I want to see if the perfdata is valid.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
highness

Post by highness »

Code: Select all

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.cisco_vpn_concentrator.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u "\(Number of Sessions\)" -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35

OUTPUT: SNMP OK - Active VPN Sessions 27 (Number of Sessions) | 'Active VPN Sessions'=27(Number of Sessions);;35;
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Well, the check looks right, but the string omit is not working. Could you try removing the escapes on the parens?
Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.
highness

Post by highness »

abrist wrote:Well, the check looks right, but the string omit is not working. Could you try removing the escapes on the parens?
Actually, those must have been added by phpBB. Those don't appear when I run the command.
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

highness wrote:

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.cisco_vpn_concentrator.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u "\(Number of Sessions\)" -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35

OUTPUT: SNMP OK - Active VPN Sessions 27 (Number of Sessions) | 'Active VPN Sessions'=27(Number of Sessions);;35;
The UOM containts spaces and this will be causing issues "(Number of Sessions)".

Perhaps try -u "\(Number_of_Sessions\)" in your check_snmp command.

https://nagios-plugins.org/doc/guidelines.html#AEN200

'label'=value[UOM];[warn];[crit];[min];[max]
UOM (unit of measurement) is one of:
no unit specified - assume a number (int or float) of things (eg, users, processes, load averages)
s - seconds (also us, ms)
% - percentage
B - bytes (also KB, MB, TB)
c - a continous counter (such as bytes transmitted on an interface)
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
highness

Post by highness »

Box293 wrote:
highness wrote:

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H hq1-asa-1.vsp.com my.cisco_vpn_concentrator.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u"(Number of Sessions)" -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35

The UOM containts spaces and this will be causing issues "(Number of Sessions)".

Perhaps try -u "\(Number_of_Sessions\)" in your check_snmp command.
Tried that, no joy. Here is the modified command and the output from that:

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.cisco_vpn_concentrator.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35

OUTPUT: SNMP OK - Active VPN Sessions 17 -m | 'Active VPN Sessions'=17-m;;35; 
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.cisco_vpn_concentrator.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35
You're missing the -u paramater, so it seems to think that "-m" is the argument to -u.
Former Nagios employee
highness

Post by highness »

Here is the what I'm getting returned now

COMMAND: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.asa.hostname.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -u"(Number of Sessions)" -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35

OUTPUT: SNMP OK - Active VPN Sessions 33 (Number of Sessions) | 'Active VPN Sessions'=33(Number of Sessions);;35; 
Does that look right? If so, the next step is to figure out why it's not graphing.

The weird thing is that this check wasn't updated and worked fine before we upgrade. After the upgrade, this check fails to graph...
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

That looks ok, but the unit label is breaking graphing. Can you run the check without the -u "<string"?

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H my.asa.hostname.com -p 161 -o enterprises.9.9.392.1.3.1.0 -C idontknow -P 2c -l "Active VPN Sessions" -m RFC1155-SMI -c :35
Former Nagios employee
Come to the Dark Side.