Nagios plugin for SMART monitoring HP drive array

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
xpac

Nagios plugin for SMART monitoring HP drive array

Post by xpac »

I see there are a ton of options for SMART monitoring plugins, anybody have experience with any in particular with HP Proliant DL arrays? I tested the basic check_ide_smart that comes with the regular plugins download however it fails.
millisa

Re: Nagios plugin for SMART monitoring HP drive array

Post by millisa »

check_ide_smart is for checking S.M.A.R.T. status of a drive - this is not the same as the HP "Smart Array" raid controllers.

There are a large number of HP monitoring plugins: http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... 8Compaq%29 is a good place to start looking for plugins applicable to your specific HP hardware.
Some are intended for Windows systems, some are for VMWare, some are for linux. A few of them check for any errors that the HP Insight manager will report through snmp (this would include fans, array controllers, drives, temp, power supplies, gerbils, etc).

You'd definitely need to provide more info - the HP Proliant DL lines have shipped with many different array controllers and with many different OS's. If you do run into an issue trying to get a plugin working, generally you'll want to provide your command definition, service definition, what you tested, what results you got back (generally, 'it fails' is just going to prompt a response of 'ok, how does it fail and how do you have things configured')
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

@xpac, did you find any HP-specific plugins for your needs?
Former Nagios employee
xpac

Post by xpac »

tmcdonald wrote:@xpac, did you find any HP-specific plugins for your needs?
Sorry I've been working on a bunch of other things that took priority, but now I'm back to this. I'm gonna try this plugin: http://www.claudiokuenzler.com/nagios-p ... DQSj00tCHt it seems to be relatively recent and while it may take a little bit of tinkering I think it should give me more valuable info than some of the other tools I've seen.
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

good to hear. Keep us posted.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.