Recommendation for Load Balancing.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
roddergreg

Recommendation for Load Balancing.

Post by roddergreg »

I am extremely interested in implementing the nagios log server in my environment. I have a few questions about load balancing.

1. Your recommendation is roundrobin DNS. What happens if one of the nodes in the roundrobin dns drop? Roundrobin DNS doesn't have a keep alive. If one of the nodes in round robin dns fail what happens to the data?
2. The other recommendation is use a loadbalancer. This is costly and I'd like to avoid it.
3. Is it possible to configure Nagios Log Server to run in 3 node ha proxy configuration? This uses round roundrobin as well but has a keepalive process. If a node isnt online it skips over to the next node.
4. If ha proxy configuration is available can you please provide your recommendations?

Thanks,

Greg
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: Recommendation for Load Balancing.

Post by scottwilkerson »

#1 was one suggestion, but best practice is really what works well in your environment.

#3 This actually may become the defacto standard, and sounds like a very good way to setup the HA.

#4 We do not have one and it will really depend on the inputs you add to your system, ports, etc. if you are using global configs or are splitting them.
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com