Load says it's high, but I'm not seeing it...

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Network Analyzer, our network traffic and bandwidth analysis solution.
snapon_admin

Load says it's high, but I'm not seeing it...

Post by snapon_admin »

Just wondering why I get this pretty often with my gauges under the Admin tab. Load will shoot up to well over 100% (often being over 200%), but then in top I'm showing the load is super low. Also, is this gauge measuring load, or usage? Load, in my experience, isn't typically measured in percentage, so that's the only reason I'm confused. Also, what are the recommended CPU specs for NNA? I'm looking for those now, but figured I'd ask in case I can't find any docs on that. Never mind, found the specs, which we more than meet for recommended. Screenshot attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Load says it's high, but I'm not seeing it...

Post by lmiltchev »

Do you see load in % when you view the gauge under the "Performance Graphs" tab also (under "Service Status Detail" page)? I added a gauge dashlet to my Home dashboard and it is not using a percentage... Can you show us the service definition of this check?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
snapon_admin

Post by snapon_admin »

This gauge is from the system dashboard on the Administration page of Network Analyzer. Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I don't have a performance graphs tab, and I'm not sure of where the service definition for this would be. I checked in the location that those are stored in XI and don't see anything similar there.
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

I think you confused lmiltchev there, we're so used to you asking about XI. :) Let me have a look at that page and see what it correlates to.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

My bad. I was looking at the XI gauges... :oops: I believe it is just a typo in the gauge title in the NNA - it doesn't make sense to have a % there... I am not sure about the load issue - mine varies between 0 and 1... We will do some more digging into this.
snapon_admin

Post by snapon_admin »

lol, no worries. Additional info, the load on the NNA server never goes above 10, and the only time it actually gets that high is in the middle of the night when backups are done on all of our servers (same as the load spikes some of you have seen from my XI server), so it's not a cause for alarm. During normal use, the highest I've seen the load on the NNA server is ~5-7.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Update: This seems like a bug in NNA - I will talk with Scott about it on Monday. The gauge shows CPU usage, not load. Also, it seems like it shows the CPU usage of only one CPU...
snapon_admin

Post by snapon_admin »

Yep, that's what it looks like to me, too. Thanks for the update!
abrist
Red Shirt

Post by abrist »

Great. Keep an eye on the future NNA release notes. Cheers!
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
snapon_admin

Post by snapon_admin »

Will do, thanks. I think you can go ahead and lock this one now that it's on the radar and set for a fix.