NagiosXI 2014/ Core 4.x with mod_gearman-1.5

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
mon-team

NagiosXI 2014/ Core 4.x with mod_gearman-1.5

Post by mon-team »

Hi guy,

We are planning to migrate to NagiosXI 2014/ Core 4.x with mod_gearman-1.5

Could you please confirm that the issue "Nagios XI Event queue stalling? (Mod Gearman)" discussed on this post "http://support.nagios.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=25594" has been overcome in this release?

We are now running NagiosXI 2012R2.9 and mod_gearman-1.4

Thanks

BR
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: NagiosXI 2014/ Core 4.x with mod_gearman-1.5

Post by sreinhardt »

There were multiple issues within that post. Specifically the event queue issue has a known fix, but does not need to be applied to all systems, so it will not likely be forced into the next update. Otherwise, I do not believe there should be any known issues with your update.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
mon-team

upgrade nagiosXI

Post by mon-team »

Hi guys,

I have a question for you.
We are going to upgrade our nagios XI to the latest version.
Do we need to upgrade mysql-server and posgresql-server? the script../upgrade can perform this for us ?

We are running mysql-server-5.1.73, postgresql-server-8.4 and nagiosXI 2012R2.9 on a Cent0s 6.5

Thanks
BRegards
slansing

Post by slansing »

Yes, the upgrade script provided with the xi-latest.tar.gz tarball will upgrade all pre-reqs to the version we require for that XI version. You should not have to manually upgrade anything individually. In many cases, if you upgrade beyond a version we account for in XI, it can cause issues, so it's best to let the upgrade script take care of it.
mon-team

Post by mon-team »

Hi support,
Thanks you for your quick response.
Let me ask another question about upgrading modgearman.
I read with attention the official documentation http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... ios_XI.pdf.

It's clear for me the steps to do about updating a gearman server on nagiosXI:
cp /etc/mod_gearman/* /tmp/
rpm -e gearmand gearman-devel mod_gearman libgearman
cd /tmp
wget http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/mod_ ... x86_64.rpm
yum localinstall -–nogpgcheck mod_gearman-1.5.0b1-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
The official documentation doesn't mention anything about updating modgearman worker. Could you indicate us the steps to do this.

I have a look to ./ModGearmanFullinstallVersionCore4.sh. The script installs gearmand-0.25 gearmand-devel-0.25 mod_gearman-1.4 while we currently have these packages installed on our nagios workers:
[root@nagios ~]# rpm -aq | grep gearman
gearmand-devel-0.33-1.x86_64
mod_gearman-1.4.14-1.el6.x86_64
libgearman-1.1.8-2.el6.x86_64
gearmand-0.33-1.x86_64
That's means we have to do a downgrade?

Thanks you

BRegards
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

No, our rpm of gearman, includes the neb module and the worker both at 1.5. The major benefit other than many bug fixes, is that we support the use of the latest rpm based gearmand instead of forcing several year out of date versions. Using the yum localinstall command will cause gearmand and all needed parts to be installed properly.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
mon-team

Post by mon-team »

Please let me repeat my question:
What are the steps to complete on our remote worker systems in order to update modgearman worker.

Our remote workers had mod_gearman-1.4 previously installed?
[root@worker1 ~]# rpm -aq | grep gearman
gearmand-devel-0.33-1.x86_64
mod_gearman-1.4.14-1.el6.x86_64
libgearman-1.1.8-2.el6.x86_64
gearmand-0.33-1.x86_64
Thanks in advance for your response
BRegards
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

You will likely need to remove the previous rpms, as they will conflict with the official packages. Then run the yum localinstall as our documentation states, and start the worker. If everything was configured before, your configs should transfer over as well. Aside from not configuring the gearmand and neb module configs, everything is exactly the same as installing or updating an exising mod_gearman install on a nagios system.
mon-team

Post by mon-team »

It's clear for me now.
Thanks very much
Best Regards
cmerchant

Post by cmerchant »

You are very welcome. We will go ahead and close this thread.