Log Server and Solaris

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
snapon_admin

Log Server and Solaris

Post by snapon_admin »

So I'm by no means a Unix admin, let alone a Solaris admin, so I could use some guidance with this. Our Solaris admins are interested in sending logs to the Log Server but are unsure of how to set that up. Has anyone had success in sending log data from Solaris to Log Server that could point me in the right direction? I'm researching it on my own as well, just figured I'd post here and see if I get an answer before I find one myself. Thanks!
jomann
Development Lead

Re: Log Server and Solaris

Post by jomann »

I believe that you should be able to set it up using the tutorial inside of Nagios Log Server by clicking on "+ Log Source" green button on the top right-hand side of the black header bar and then finding the linux server page. There should be a tab called "Manual" that will let you see the syslog configuration that we write to the system. Since Solaris has a version of syslog - it should have no problem being set up to send logs to Nagios Log Server.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
snapon_admin

Post by snapon_admin »

That's what we thought at first, too, but the /etc/syslog.conf file in Solaris looks very different from the /etc/rsyslog file in that tutorial, which is why i posted here. Been doing a bit of digging though, and it looks like it might only be a few minor tweaks. At least that's what I'm hoping, heh.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

Do you have regular syslog or rsyslog on the Solaris box? rsyslog uses the syslog configs but adds some additional options that might make it look a bit different. The backwards-compatibility is there though. As long as the same options are present, the differences between them may not matter. Would you be able to post your configs here?
Former Nagios employee