Contact Threshold

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Deehem

Contact Threshold

Post by Deehem »

Hi All,

I've been administering Nagios for some years across many installs, however I have recently been tasked with something that I can't seem to work out how to do.

We have our main host definitions, with probably around 35 service definitions under each host. We are looking to monitor this in a way where it displays as it should in nagios absolutely fine, however I'm trying to make it so contacts only get triggered once 4 or more services on a particular machine time out, or if the actual PING linked service to the host isn't responding.

The reason for this is that some machines have a bit of a fit overnight with high load, as a result xinetd/nrpe isn't accessible within the timeout and the service checks time out, whereas the PING service doesn't. The machine isn't showing as 'down' so to speak, but we would need to be alerted to this and check the load on the machine, and mitigate it if necessary - but cutting out room for error making this 4+ service timeouts rather than be alerted to every single service timeout.

Does anybody know if this is possible, or if it can be fudged in to Nagios Core somehow?

Many thanks!
tmcdonald

Re: Contact Threshold

Post by tmcdonald »

Sounds like BPI might be useful here:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... _Addon.pdf

Page 2 details installation on Core.
Former Nagios employee