Sendmail config

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jpipitone

Sendmail config

Post by jpipitone »

We've deployed NagiosXI from the VMware OVF template. We're migrating mail servers, and this instance of NagiosXI is set to send email notifications via sendmail. I tried looking for sendmail.mc as well as sendmail.cf to view the configuration and try to tell which SMTP server we're sending through. Where is the sendmail config file? Is there a way to tell which outgoing server we're sending through when using the Nagios supplied OVF template?

Thank you
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: Sendmail config

Post by abrist »

The XI sendmail client does not have specific settings for sending through mail relays nor smtp. If you were using either with sendmail, then you most likely have non-standard changes to you install.

Check the notification command on your contacts and post the command_line for the notification handler.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
jpipitone

Post by jpipitone »

Can you walk me through how to find the notification handler on our contacts?
slansing

Post by slansing »

Sure, you can find them by following this document here:

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... ios-XI.pdf
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Are you trying to setup your NagiosXI server to send emails out for alerts, etc using sendmail?

If so, the default VMware OVF template uses postfix which has the same ability as Sendmail and the configuration files for that can be found in the /etc/postfix folder.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jpipitone

Post by jpipitone »

in Core Config Manager, those contacts do not have a notification handler assigned. The email addresses where we get notifications are the emails assigned in Admin -> Users -> Manage Users
jpipitone

Post by jpipitone »

tgriep wrote:Are you trying to setup your NagiosXI server to send emails out for alerts, etc using sendmail?

If so, the default VMware OVF template uses postfix which has the same ability as Sendmail and the configuration files for that can be found in the /etc/postfix folder.
Emails are already being sent out - I'm trying to find if there's a mail server being used for relay as we are migrating to new SMTP servers.

Thanks for the info - I checked /etc/postfix/main.cf and I haven't made any changes to that file.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

If you haven't changed any of the settings for postfix then I would assume that the server is using the DNS MX record to forward emails off the server.
You can check the /var/log/maillog file to see where they are being sent to.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
jpipitone

Post by jpipitone »

Thank you!
slansing

Post by slansing »

Let us know if you have further issues.