Help with Active Checks Disabled

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
nagmoto

Help with Active Checks Disabled

Post by nagmoto »

Hi,

I am trying to find which user has disabled the Active Checks for a particular service on one of the host. I tried to see the nagios log file unfortunately it doesn't record the user details. Is there any other way i can find which "user" disabled the service check on this particular Server ?

[14341] EXTERNAL COMMAND: SCHEDULE_FORCED_SVC_CHECK;Server1;check-service;
[15431] SERVICE ALERT: Server1;check-service;OK;HARD;3;TASKS OK meas=15% warn=50% crit=80% min=0 max=3
[17839] EXTERNAL COMMAND: DISABLE_SVC_CHECK;Server1;check-service

Thanks,
nagmoto.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.56.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.56.39 AM.png (15.28 KiB) Viewed 832 times
tmcdonald

Re: Help with Active Checks Disabled

Post by tmcdonald »

Hmm, that's a tough one. The forensic-minded side of me would look for apache access logs corresponding with the timestamps listed in the nagios log. Correlate the listed IP addresses with a user's workstation.
Former Nagios employee
nagmoto

Post by nagmoto »

I thought there might be some backdoor to figure out easily.I can compare with apache access logs but i need to spend good amount of time in debugging and i assume it not really an easy way to find out who did what as i have nearly 10 checks with similar state.
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

The other difficulty here is that it might not have been a Nagios contact/user who did it. Suppose someone logged in as root and wrote a command directly to the nagios.cmd file? In this case there is no Nagios contact/user involved at all, just a Linux user. That would not be something we could track.

There's a saying in the computer forensic investigation world: "You can't put someone behind the keyboard". Basically no matter how much it may look like someone did something according to the logs, you can't know for sure without possibly a video camera recording.

I can certainly put in a feature request for this sort of logging, but bear in mind that the solution might not be ideal due to the reasons listed above.
Former Nagios employee