Tripwire and nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
giuseppe92

Tripwire and nagios

Post by giuseppe92 »

hello guys , I recently started using nagiosCore .
I wanted to know if it is possible to integrate NagiosCore with Tripwire .
for example if there was a fault in a host where you installed tripwire , it should notify the nagios server and the server should notify the administrator.

ps:Sorry for my english :roll:
Last edited by giuseppe92 on Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Tripwire and nagios

Post by Box293 »

There are several methods how you could do this.

If you wanted the host that has Tripwire installed to notify Nagios, this would be a passive check.

Nagios can listen to passive checks using NSCA, NRDP or SNMP Traps.

I also noticed on the Nagios Exchange some checks for Tripwire that indicate there is some sort of central Tripwire server. You could configure Nagios to use one of these plugins as an active check.
http://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?op ... d=tripwire

Does this help at all?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
giuseppe92

Post by giuseppe92 »

ok.
If I used this plugin http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Pl ... ol/details ,I should install it on server with Nagios and create a command to invoke it(every minute for example);
on host with tripwire should I do something ?
Last edited by giuseppe92 on Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Those plugins look to be the same and the requirements for them are:

1. You need to setup your tripwire server to send snmp traps to your Nagios Core server.

2. Your Nagios Core service check for your tripwire server would then call check_tripwire.pl

It looks like it just reads your trap log (defined in the script, on your Nagios Core box) and it outputs an ordered alphabetic list of hosts for which tripwire has detected a violation.

If you wanted it to do active checks that query each host or your tripwire server you would probably have to write your own plugin, we do offer customized development, if you're interested you can email sales@nagios.com.
giuseppe92

Post by giuseppe92 »

ssax wrote: 2. Your Nagios Core service check for your tripwire server would then call check_tripwire.pl
I must first configure SNMP Manager on the Nagios server, and then create a command to check_tripwire.pl, right?
there is documentation to configure it or a particular plugin?
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Should be able to use this guide for setting it up, I know it says it's for XI but I tested and it works for Core as well.

http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagi ... ios_XI.pdf

Then you would point the check_tripwire.pl script to the /var/log/snmptt/snmptt.log file.
giuseppe92

Post by giuseppe92 »

OK thanks.