Way to Include Text in Email Body

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
joe1871

Way to Include Text in Email Body

Post by joe1871 »

Hi,

I am a long time Nagios admin. I am managing a server with 800 hosts and 2500 plus services. Its a lot. One thing that has been a constant request from the support team is to add more descriptive text to the alerts. Is there a way to add text based on a specific alert to an email notification? I know I can make a separate email command that sends customized text in the notify_by_email command structure, but that is very messy. I thought of using the $USER$ Macros in resource.cfg, but that limits you to 32 instances. I would like to be able to create a folder with some individual text files in it that get read into the body of the alert if the name of the file matches the host name in the alert. Any ideas? Anyone know if there is a plugin or anything for this?

Thanks in Advance. I really appreciate the help

Joe
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: Way to Include Text in Email Body

Post by jolson »

I've heard about an extension called Nagios Herald that can do this sort of thing well. Bear in mind that I haven't tested it personally, but it's worth exploring: https://github.com/etsy/nagios-herald

Just my 2c - I'm sure some of the other techs have different suggestions.
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.