NSCLIENT++ and NSCA - Limit out Outplug in

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Mike-sbg

NSCLIENT++ and NSCA - Limit out Outplug in

Post by Mike-sbg »

I'm using Nagios Using NSCA and NSCA-NG for getting information about my windows- and "old" EL5-Linux-Server.

There is a limit of 512 bytes for sending Information in the old NSCA-Protokoll (NSCA-Server V 2.7.2)

Did anyone find out a solution that you can send longer outputs to the NSCA-Server

for example:

* NSCLIENT-Version compatible with NSCA-NG,
* a Patch for NSCA-Server allowing longer Output?
* Version of NSCA-NG for EL5?

Any sugestion would be appreciated.

Your Mike
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Re: NSCLIENT++ and NSCA - Limit out Outplug in

Post by eloyd »

Are you limited to having to use NSCA? If, instead, you could wrap your checks into an SSH-based script, you could send back arbitrarily long output strings.
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

You can either read the patch and apply it yourself (it's 4 characters in 1 line), or

Code: Select all

tar -xzvf nrpe-2.7.2.tar.gz
patch -p0 < nsca-2.7.2_4096byte.patch
Attachments
nsca-2.7.2_4096byte.patch
(438 Bytes) Downloaded 223 times
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

eloyd wrote:Are you limited to having to use NSCA? If, instead, you could wrap your checks into an SSH-based script, you could send back arbitrarily long output strings.
Yes I'm stuck to NSCA (without NG) as I'm using NSCLIENT++ for Windows and NRPE wouldn't be a solution for my problem.
I even tried NRDP which is supported by NSCLIENT++ but this causes errors,too :-(
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

jdalrymple wrote:You can either read the patch and apply it yourself (it's 4 characters in 1 line), or

Code: Select all

tar -xzvf nrpe-2.7.2.tar.gz
patch -p0 < nsca-2.7.2_4096byte.patch
As I read patching the size, doesn't fix the problem, because it will create errors with the checksum, or isn't that true anymore?
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

You'll have to use the patched send_nsca also and then it should work fine. For nsclient++ it's just a config option.

I'm using this code in production.
Mike-sbg

Post by Mike-sbg »

Thank you all for the help!!! :D

As suggested I patched den NSCA Command (Server and Client) and modified die Config in the NSClient++ and everything works fine.

One last tip for other reading this thread: When you patch the Parameter: MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH it is also necessary to patch the MAX_INPUT_BUFFER. If you miss this patch, the Data will be transported and accepted by the CRCCheck, but I will be truncated at the length of the MAX_INPUT_BUFFER
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

I'll be closing this thread now, but feel free to open another if you need anything in the future!
Former Nagios employee