Schedule for check_for_updates

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
JLT

Schedule for check_for_updates

Post by JLT »

I did not locate this level of detail on the check_for_updates check in the documentation.

How is the check_for_updates scheduled? Is it at a specific time?

What happens if the internet connection cannot be made at the time of the check? Is the check then skipped until the next 24 hour time period, or does the process sleep and continue to attempt to check in the next hour?

If the behavior is documented, please direct me to the info.

We flipped the setting and turned the check off, but that resulted in a rather annoying warning message box. Is there on option to tone that down so that the warning doesn't continue to appear?

We are dealing with systems on an isolated private network.

Thanks.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Schedule for check_for_updates

Post by ssax »

It checks 22 hours from the last time it was checked.

The values are stored in /usr/local/nagios/var/status.dat and /usr/local/nagios/var/retention.dat for last_update_check.

It will just reschedule it if it is unable to check.

You could disable it in the nagios.cfg and then edit /usr/local/nagios/etc/main.php and change (around line 140):

Code: Select all

if (!$updateinfo['update_checks_enabled']) {
To:

Code: Select all

if (0 == 1) {
That would get rid of the message but you wouldn't know if the updates are disabled or not, you could always check manually then as well.
JLT

Re: Schedule for check_for_updates

Post by JLT »

Thanks for the reply. This is the info I needed. Done with this item.