IIS Log Monitoring

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
markf

IIS Log Monitoring

Post by markf »

Hello,

I would like to be able to scan the contents of the daily IIS W3C web server log file on a Windows server using nsclient++. I would like the output to produce the number of connections from a specific IP address (or login) and warn if there are say 100 connections or attempts in the past 5 minutes. Is this possible using Nagios core and the nsclient++. I have checked the Nagios Exchange but not finding a plugin to do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: IIS Log Monitoring

Post by jolson »

This sounds like a prime opportunity to recommend Nagios Log Server- it is capable of doing exactly what you're asking. In addition to alerting based on connections, Nagios Log Server could produce graphs based on the other parts of the IIS log - a response time graph, for instance. I worked with a client the other day who is doing exactly this.

If Log Server isn't an option, I think that we could work with NSClient. Have you looked at http://docs.nsclient.org/reference/CheckLogFile.html? If so, how far have you gotten?
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.