Disk I/O for all disk at a time

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
yunushaikh

Disk I/O for all disk at a time

Post by yunushaikh »

Hello Experts,

Is there any plugin available to monitor Disk I/O for all the disk without supplying parameter -d in it. I want to monitor all the Disk I/O on the servers using single command. I dont want to go on every server and check the device disk name. I want to monitor it using SNMP. Please suggest..

Thanks..
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Disk I/O for all disk at a time

Post by tgriep »

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
yunushaikh

Post by yunushaikh »

I already configured this plugin but here we have to tell the plugin using -d option which disk we need to monitor

I want it in the way that it should not ask me which disk to monitor. It should monitor all the disk present on the server.

Thanks for your help
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Have you taken a look at the following?
https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... mp/details
This plugin monitors free space and can alert when the free space percentage descends too low. You might have to tinker with it to get it to work - as per the comment in exchange.
nikonier wrote: Hi,
after installing the plugin I got an error:
(Service check did not exit properly)

after some "googling" I modified my entry in the commands.cfg:
command_line /usr/bin/perl $USER1$/check_hd $HOSTADDRESS$ public $ARG1$ $ARG2$ $ARG3$

everything works, but I don't like the output:
OK: hd C in use 5.19659161907092 perc and 529.744556427002 GB free w-40 c-60

so I did some more modifications. edit the plugin check_hd:
around Line 72:
$freespace=$fullsize1 - $usedsize1;
$freespace=$freespace / 1024 / 1024 / 1024;
$freespace = sprintf("%.2f", $freespace);
$percfilled=$usedsize1 * 100 / $fullsize1;
$percfilled = sprintf("%.2f", $percfilled);

ADD the commands with the sprintf command.

output now:
OK: hd C in use 5.20 perc and 529.74 GB free w-40 c-60

regards,
Juergen
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
yunushaikh

Post by yunushaikh »

Hello Sir,

i dont want to monitor free space on the HDD. I want to monitor Disk I/O on all the disk.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

I was not able to find a SNMP plugin that does that, but I found a bash script, that seems to work fine.

https://exchange.nagios.org/directory/P ... ks/details

Code: Select all

./check_all_diskstat.sh
/dev/sda: critical write sectors/s (>20000), summary: 17 io/s, read 264 sectors (1kB/s), write 39112 sectors (208kB/s) in 94 seconds | tps_/dev/sda=17io/s;;; read_/dev/sda=1437b/s;;; write_/dev/sda=213035b/s;;;
/dev/sr0: summary: 0 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 0 sectors (0kB/s) in 94 seconds | tps_/dev/sr0=0io/s;;; read_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;;
yunushaikh

Post by yunushaikh »

Hello Sir,

Yes this two scripts if combined are pulling up all the HDD's but I cannot view the I/O of remote server

for example If I need to check disk stat of remote machine it gives me message using -H IP address

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 154: [: -H: integer expression expected
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 165: [: -H: integer expression expected
summary: 3 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 9728 sectors (35kB/s) in 138 seconds | tps_/dev/sda=3io/s;;; read_/dev/sda=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sda=36092b/s;;;
/dev/sr0: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 144: [: -H: integer expression expected
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 154: [: -H: integer expression expected
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 165: [: -H: integer expression expected
summary: 0 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 0 sectors (0kB/s) in 1226 seconds | tps_/dev/sr0=0io/s;;; read_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;;
/dev/sr1: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_diskstat.sh: line 144: [: -H: integer expression expected
summary: 0 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 0 sectors (0kB/s) in 1225 seconds | tps_/dev/sr1=0io/s;;; read_/dev/sr1=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sr1=0b/s;;;
yunushaikh

Post by yunushaikh »

I am running the command
./check_all_diskstat.sh -H X.X.X.X

But I think the script
check_diskstat will accept -H option

Any Idea about how to pass -H option to check_diskstat combining these two scripts.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I've modified the check_diskio_ucd script to do what you want, try the attached version and let me know what you think.

Example command for all disks:

./check_diskio_ucd.pl -H 192.168.4.124 -C public -s 2 -w 50 -c 500
For specific disks:

./check_diskio_ucd.pl -H 192.168.4.124 -C public -s 2 -d sda -w 50 -c 500 
check_diskio_ucd.zip
(5.66 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

You are correct. The plugin works only locally.

You could use NRPE to check the remote machine. Copy both scripts to the remote box, set up a command in the common.cfg (or nrpe.cfg), for example:

command[check_io]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_all_diskstat.sh
Restart xinetd:

service xinetd restart
and test it from the nagios server:

./check_nrpe -H x.x.x.x -c check_io
/dev/sda: critical write sectors/s (>20000), summary: 8 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 624 sectors (104kB/s) in 3 seconds | tps_/dev/sda=8io/s;;; read_/dev/sda=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sda=106496b/s;;;
/dev/sr0: summary: 0 io/s, read 0 sectors (0kB/s), write 0 sectors (0kB/s) in 3 seconds | tps_/dev/sr0=0io/s;;; read_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;; write_/dev/sr0=0b/s;;;
If you don't want to install NRPE on the remote box, you could try ssax's solution.