Service Naming Convention

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
krutaw

Re: Service Naming Convention

Post by krutaw »

tmcdonald wrote:Have you seen this behavior in the past? I have a service right now that is named "CPU-Interface-:-1 Bandwidth" and the perfdata graphs just fine. Granted there is not a lot in there since it's a CPU port, but it works. What matters is not the service description, it's the RRD file name that is passed as an argument to the plugin. In this case it is checking a MRTG-generated RRD file and the colon in the description does not affect this.

Update: And in reference specifically to the RRD that stores the perfdata, I believe we strip out any illegal characters both when initially creating and when later reading from the RRD, so the only way this would be an issue is possibly if you have two services, one named "HOST!" and one named "HOST:" which, after stripping, would both be "HOST".
perfdata.png

The most current version may indeed correct the colon issue, however, this is far afield from my original request for information. It's pretty obvious that this is a fruitless exercise, please go ahead and close the thread.