How to monitor extended windows eventlogs using Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
ankurvvvv

How to monitor extended windows eventlogs using Nagios

Post by ankurvvvv »

Hello,

We in our production environment are using Nagios to monitor various windows alerts.

Now we also want to monitor Exchange server Failover event i.e. 306 via nagios.

the command which we are using currently is as follow which works fine for EventLogs Application, Systems and Security:

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c CheckEventLog -a file=Application debug=true MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter-generated=\<1d "filter=id = 1009" truncate=1000 unique descriptions "syntax=%id%: (%count%)"

Now, instead of events in Application/ Systems and Security log, I want to configure EventLog for Microsoft-Exchange-HighAvailability/Operational event 306, can anyone help me in this to how to configure this events in Nagios?

Thanks

Ankur
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: How to monitor extended windows eventlogs using Nagios

Post by jolson »

No problem, you should be able to change the log you're monitoring with the 'file' specification.

A possible example (may need some tinkering):

Code: Select all

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c CheckEventLog -a file=Microsoft-Exchange-HighAvailability/Operational debug=true MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter-generated=\<1d "filter=id = 306" truncate=1000 unique descriptions "syntax=%id%: (%count%)"
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
ankurvvvv

Post by ankurvvvv »

jolson wrote:No problem, you should be able to change the log you're monitoring with the 'file' specification.

A possible example (may need some tinkering):

Code: Select all

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c CheckEventLog -a file=Microsoft-Exchange-HighAvailability/Operational debug=true MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter-generated=\<1d "filter=id = 306" truncate=1000 unique descriptions "syntax=%id%: (%count%)"
I tried this combination, but it did not worked.

Actually I tried many combinations but all failed.

Any more idea are welcome.

Thanks.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Are you receiving any errors from the CLI after running the command I mentioned? If so, what errors?

What other combinations have you tried?
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
ankurvvvv

Post by ankurvvvv »

jolson wrote:Are you receiving any errors from the CLI after running the command I mentioned? If so, what errors?

What other combinations have you tried?

The commands/ combinations which I tried are as follow:

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c CheckEventLog -a filter=new file=all MinWarn=0 MinCrit=0 filter-generated=\<30m filter+eventID=="306" filter+eventType==all filter=all

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c CheckEventLog -a filter=new file=all MinWarn=0 MinCrit=0 filter == ((source== "HighAvailability") AND (eventtype == "error") OR (eventtype == "warning")) filter-generated=\<30m filter+eventID=="306" filter+eventType==all filter=all

./check_nrpe -t 30 -H IPAddress -p 5666 -c eventlog=System,include,source=HighAvailability,eventtype=error,eventtype=warning,exclude,eventid=15,eventid=16" debug=true MaxWarn=1 MaxCrit=1 filter-generated=\<1d "filter=id = 306" truncate=1000 unique descriptions "syntax=%id%: (%count%)"

And many others...

And the output which I get from above commands is as follow:
Eventlog check ok|'eventlog'=0;1;1;

Output show Status OK, but in the server there are many events with 306 ID's due to automatic Exchange databases failover and output show 0,1,1.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Ankur
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Turn on debug logging in NSClient++ and restart the service.

Then try executing these commands and check the log to see what logs. (I like using http://tailforwin32.sourceforge.net/ for watching logs on windows servers).
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
ankurvvvv

Post by ankurvvvv »

any other option?
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

I've fiddled with this a little bit to try and debug your problem. I'm having trouble identifying what "token" to use to tell nsclient I want to query a log besides App/Sys/Sec. This may be one you should reach out to Michael Medin (the developer of NSCP) on. Have you tried that?

https://forums.nsclient.org/
ankurvvvv

Post by ankurvvvv »

Will update if u get the correct syntax.

Ankur.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

We appreciate it - will leave the topic open hoping you get resolve.