NagVis versions and upgrades?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
gsl_ops_practice

NagVis versions and upgrades?

Post by gsl_ops_practice »

Hello,

We are seeing our release of 2014R2.7 is running NagVis 1.5.9. while it was posted May 29, 2014 in this forum that the included NagVis version in Nagios 2014R1.0 is 1.7.10. We started out with a 2014R2.5 VM and have since used the upgrade packages to patch up to 2.7.

What can we do to fix this? From my reading NagVis 1.8 is much more user-friendly than 1.5 (trying to create a map with with 1.5.9 and it is painful)

Thank you
abrist
Red Shirt

Re: NagVis versions and upgrades?

Post by abrist »

You are welcome to attempt the upgrade, though it may be better off performed after a backup and through a remote session so one of the support techs can assist you throughout the expected (and unexpected) speed bumps. Currently, the included version of nagvis in XI relies on basic auth, and that can be a mess to properly configure in newer versions of nagvis. It may best formed in a test environment first to build a procedure for update. Additionally, browser caching will most likely cause javascript errors if you move to the newest versions, so users may have to flush the browser cache to get the updated nagvis to play nice. Do have a current support contract? If so, email xisupport@nagios.com.
Former Nagios employee
"It is turtles. All. The. Way. Down. . . .and maybe an elephant or two."
VI VI VI - The editor of the Beast!
Come to the Dark Side.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

I've created a feature request for this:

Code: Select all

NEW TASK ID 6026 created - Nagios XI Feature Request: Upgrade Nagvis to the latest version
If you really have to have it now you could always try upgrading it yourself, I upgraded mine and it seemed to work fine, but you should make absolutely sure that you have good backups/vm snapshots to revert to in case it causes problems and you should try it in a test environment first.

*** This will probably get reverted if you upgrade XI and I'm unsure what will really happen, make sure to have good backups/vm snapshots before upgrading XI as well.

Code: Select all

yum install rsync
cd /tmp
wget http://www.nagvis.org/share/nagvis-1.8.5.tar.gz
tar zxf nagvis-1.8.5.tar.gz
cd nagvis-1.8.5
sh install.sh
gsl_ops_practice

Post by gsl_ops_practice »

Thanks for that, I will try in one of our test VMs to see how it behaves.

Please mark this thread closed.
WillemDH

Post by WillemDH »

Fyi, I already created a feature request for this in July 2013 => http://tracker.nagios.com/view.php?id=423 Please +1 it :)
Nagios XI 5.8.1
https://outsideit.net
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Willem,

I have added a note to your tracker request. gsl_ops_practice, I have marked the thread as closed. Thank you both!
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.