How to suppress "SERVICE ALERT:"-entries in nagios.log-file

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
Schmatte

How to suppress "SERVICE ALERT:"-entries in nagios.log-file

Post by Schmatte »

Hello,

does there exist an option to suppress the log-entries "SERVICE ALERT:" in the Nagios-core-Logfile?

No one of the logging-options in the nagios.cfg - file seems to be handle this, to avoid this output. We have thousand of services and that's why we would like to suppress this log-entries, because we handle this service-states already and we would like to reduce the redundant I/O-traffic.

Regards
hsmith
Agent Smith

Re: How to suppress "SERVICE ALERT:"-entries in nagios.log-f

Post by hsmith »

Schmatte wrote:Hello,

does there exist an option to suppress the log-entries "SERVICE ALERT:" in the Nagios-core-Logfile?

No one of the logging-options in the nagios.cfg - file seems to be handle this, to avoid this output. We have thousand of services and that's why we would like to suppress this log-entries, because we handle this service-states already and we would like to reduce the redundant I/O-traffic.

Regards
Do you want the logging of the alerts all together to stop, or just the logging saying that a notification was sent out?
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
Schmatte

Post by Schmatte »

I would like to stop this alerts all together. Option log_notifications=0 has been set already, but this doesn't suppress this log-entries.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

Did you restart the nagios process after the change was made?
Run this to see if the logging stops.

Code: Select all

service nagios restart
If not, could you post your nagios.cfg file so we can review it?
Format: log_notifications=<0/1>
Example: log_notifications=1

This variable determines whether or not notification messages are logged. If you have a lot of contacts or regular service failures your log file will grow relatively quickly. Use this option to keep contact notifications from being logged.

0 = Don't log notifications
1 = Log notifications
Changing log_notifications to 0 will just suppress Notifications.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Schmatte

Post by Schmatte »

I set all possible "log_*"-options to 0. I also restarted nagios every time (checked PID in nagios.lock) .

At this time I think the logging-problem depends on the "is_volatile=1" - option of the configured services.

see https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... vices.html

Here is a hint:

"[..] Volatile services differ from "normal" services in three important ways. Each time they are checked when they are in a hard non-OK state, and the check returns a non-OK state (i.e. no state change has occurred)...
•The non-OK service state is logged [..]"

So I would substantiate the question: How could I suppress this logging of non-OK service states of a volatile-service ?
tmcdonald

Post by tmcdonald »

That's not currently possible in Core, as logging is one of the three things that take place for a volatile service (the other two being event handlers and notifications). You would need to do this at a syslog/rsyslog level:

http://www.rsyslog.com/discarding-unwanted-messages/
Former Nagios employee