Nagios backup server

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
yunushaikh

Nagios backup server

Post by yunushaikh »

Hello Sir,

I need some suggestion regarding nagios.
Suppose my Nagios server goes down, Is there any possible way that I can monitor everything which was getting monitored from another server.

I mean I want to create a backup for my nagios server. Is there any good idea how to do that or I will have to manually make those changes on both the servers. So if my one server goes down I can start service of another server.

If there is any automation for this or any technology please let me know.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: Nagios backup server

Post by jolson »

I typically recommend a failover solution similar to the following:

Some key points to consider:
-Primary Nagios Core server must send some sort of backup to the secondary server daily.
-Your second Nagios server will be restoring from the backup of the primary, which can be initiated manually or automatically (via event handlers or a script on a cron job).
-All of your agents must be accessible by both Nagios servers.
-All passive agents must be configured to send to both Nagios servers.

Deployment steps for this type of failover:
(1) Deploy and setup Primary Nagios Core Server.
(2) Configure Primary Core Server(Monitoring settings and so on).
(3) Deploy and setup Secondary Core Server.
(4) Come up with a backup method depending on how your Nagios Core box is configured - it could be as simple as copying the '*.cfg' files out of /usr/local/nagios/etc/ and pushing them to your secondary server.
(5) Add a host check for Primary Nagios Server on Secondary Nagios Server.

Options for setting up the secondary server:
1. Do not run the 'nagios' service on the secondary server, check the primary with a cron job. Start the 'nagios' service only when the primary check fails.
2. Disable active and passive checks on the secondary server and check the primary with a cron - when the primary server is down, enable all checks on the secondary server.
3. Disable notifications on secondary (allowing all checks to still run). When the primary is down, an event handler should be run turning on notifications.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
Box293
Too Basu

Re: Nagios backup server

Post by Box293 »

While this talk is for Nagios XI, a lot of the concepts can apply for core as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5Qkl8brcA
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.