How to export query results to a text file?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
onthax

How to export query results to a text file?

Post by onthax »

Hi All

New to Nagios but have run a query to get the logs for an event and can see them on screen.

The vendor would like a text output of the logs at the relevant time.

How can i export the results of the query to txt?
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: How to export query results to a text file?

Post by jolson »

This is one of our most requested features (log reporting), however the functionality is not built-in yet. You best bet is to use an API call to elasticsearch, though the results will be messy. You can get the appropriate query using the following button:
2015-08-26 10_49_05-Dashboard • Nagios Log Server - Firefox Developer Edition.png
Enter the resulting query into the command line of Nagios Log Server, and text results will be returned. Let me know if that's close to what you're looking for. If not, know that we are aware of the desire for reporting functionality. I have added your forum post to the feature request. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
onthax

Post by onthax »

jolson wrote:This is one of our most requested features (log reporting), however the functionality is not built-in yet. You best bet is to use an API call to elasticsearch, though the results will be messy. You can get the appropriate query using the following button:
2015-08-26 10_49_05-Dashboard • Nagios Log Server - Firefox Developer Edition.png
Enter the resulting query into the command line of Nagios Log Server, and text results will be returned. Let me know if that's close to what you're looking for. If not, know that we are aware of the desire for reporting functionality. I have added your forum post to the feature request. :)

Hi Jolson,

Thanks for the quick response,

unfortunately i don't see the button you are specifying.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

It should be in the top right-hand corner of your panels.
2015-09-04 09_03_51-Cortana.png
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
onthax

Post by onthax »

Hi Jolson,

As per the previous screenshot and this one attached, i don't have an i icon.
Capture.PNG
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

Interesting. Are you performing your search using the top menu bar? There was a recent bug that was resolved where if you search using the upper bar, the 'inspect' icon would fail to appear. Try using the following search bar instead:
2015-09-09 11_01_03-Action center.png
Twits Blog
onthax

Post by onthax »

Thanks Jolson, that did the trick

Only issue i'm getting now is that when i'm exporting the logs, the output is only 100k in size where as there should be 26,000 records

Syntax of query, hostname and ip addresses removed.

Code: Select all

curl -XGET 'http://nagiosservername/nagioslogserver/index.php/api/backend/logstash-2015.08.13/_search?pretty&token=c1adf9710ddf8fe68dd293ace08cacf104720a50' -d '{
  "query": {
    "filtered": {
        "bool": {
          "should": [
            {
              "query_string": {
                "query": "*"
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      },
      "filter": {
        "bool": {
          "must": [
            {
              "fquery": {
                  "query_string": {
                    "query": "host:(\"x.x.x.x\")"
                  }
                },
                "_cache": true
              }
            },
            {
              "range": {
                "@timestamp": {
                  "from": 1439485200000,
                  "to": 1439488800000
                }
              }
            }
          ]
        }
      }
    }
  },
  "highlight": {
    "fields": {
      "*": {}
    },
    "fragment_size": 2147483647,
    "pre_tags": [
      "@start-highlight@"
    ],
    "post_tags": [
      "@end-highlight@"
    ]
  },
  "size": 250,
  "sort": [
    {
        "order": "desc",
        "ignore_unmapped": true
      }
    },
    {
        "order": "desc",
        "ignore_unmapped": true
      }
    }
  ]
}' > /root/output.txt
Last edited by tmcdonald on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use [code][/code] tags around long output
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Post by jolson »

You might try expanding the time period - does the output (/root/output.txt) contain the data that you're looking for?
Twits Blog
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

I had a bit of a dig into this and I have somewhat of a solution.

First, I clicked the i icon on the "ALL EVENTS" panel to get my query.

Next, when the query is executed at the command line, I found that the number of results returned was always 10. Regardless of the value that was specificed here: "size": 250,

So I removed "size": 250, from the query and at the beginning of the query before the -d I added &size=20 and I get 20 results.

curl -XGET 'http://lsproduction01/nagioslogserver/index.php/api/backend/logstash-2015.09.11,logstash-2015.09.10/_search?pretty&token=c8d0c7a3a064a065339f5f9e21dd7a63e540890d&size=20' -d '{ "query": { "filtered": { "query": { "bool": { "should": [ { "query_string": { "query": "message:DHCP*" } } ] } }, } } }'
So then I couldn't work out how to get all results easily. I found if I set size=0 then I got this output:

{
    "took": 7,
    "timed_out": false,
    "_shards": {
        "total": 10,
        "successful": 10,
        "failed": 0
    },
    "hits": {
        "total": 801835,
        "max_score": 0,
        "hits": [

]
    }
Which tells me I have 801835 results. So then I tried:

curl -XGET 'http://lsproduction01/nagioslogserver/index.php/api/backend/logstash-2015.09.11,logstash-2015.09.10/_search?pretty&token=c8d0c7a3a064a065339f5f9e21dd7a63e540890d&size=801835' -d '{ "query": { "filtered": { "query": { "bool": { "should": [ { "query_string": { "query": "message:DHCP*" } } ] } }, } } }'
Which did nothing. So I reduced the number to 8000 and it worked, spewing a lot of output on the screen.

I tried adding a -connect-timeout but that did not help. Not sure where to go from here.

The final bit is to output it to a file with -o /tmp/curl_results.txt

curl -XGET 'http://lsproduction01/nagioslogserver/index.php/api/backend/logstash-2015.09.11,logstash-2015.09.10/_search?pretty&token=c8d0c7a3a064a065339f5f9e21dd7a63e540890d&size=8000' -d '{ "query": { "filtered": { "query": { "bool": { "should": [ { "query_string": { "query": "message:DHCP*" } } ] } }, } } }' -o /tmp/curl_results.txt
So all you need to do is work out how to get a large number of results to output.

Let us know how this works for you.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
robjohn

Post by robjohn »

Just wondering if the dev team has created a reporting/exporting solution as of yet or can an estimate of when it could be available?