Server Backups

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
daveinvb

Server Backups

Post by daveinvb »

I host Nagios XI in AWS using EC2 and RDS. The databases are backed up through RDS. Is there any information that updates regularly on the server so that it is necessary to have daily backups of the server? Since all of the historical and object configuration data is stored in the database, couldn't the server be easily rebuilt from an AMI that was captured after the most recent user was added regardless of if it were a month old?
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: Server Backups

Post by jdalrymple »

historical data (perfdata specifically) is stored in RRD files local to the XI box. Also External configs such as nsca.cfg, nrpe.cfg, and your etc/static files.

That's it though, if you don't care about those things then there is no amazing need to backup the XI box.
daveinvb

Post by daveinvb »

Is it safe to assume that nsca.cfg and nrpe.cfg do not change after the client and plugins have been configured and that the newest static files are written from the database using CCM > Tools > Write Config Files?

I'm not sure I understand what perfdata is used for. I've read https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... fdata.html but that covers more of the implementation and It looks like it is performance data from plugins. Could you explain what it is and what it does?

Thanks
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

daveinvb wrote:Is it safe to assume that nsca.cfg and nrpe.cfg do not change after the client and plugins have been configured
You would either change these by hand or through the inbound transfers tool. If you're not fiddling, it's not changing.
daveinvb wrote:and that the newest static files are written from the database using CCM > Tools > Write Config Files?
Static files are a feature that allows configurations to be loaded that are explicitly NOT part of CCM. They never go to the database.
daveinvb wrote:I'm not sure I understand what perfdata is used for.
Things like this:
Clipboard01.jpg
If you don't backup your perfdata, then when restoring, the above picture will then look like this:
Clipboard02.jpg
In most environments this is not acceptable. It's up to you to decide how valuable to you your historical data is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.