Alerts thresholds queries not updating?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
Jklre

Alerts thresholds queries not updating?

Post by Jklre »

We are seeing some issues of alerts and thresholds not updating properly.

We will take our existing alert and change a threshold from 0 to 1 or whatever and save it through the web interface. This is effecting one of our nodes which happens to be the one with the most alerts on it. (Around 2000 or so)

We also notice this on another node but when editing the query in the alert via the web interface.

We started with this query:
{"query":{"filtered":{"query":{"bool":{"should":[{"query_string":{"query":"*"}}]}},"filter":{"bool":{"must":[{"range":{"@timestamp":{"from":1458843407609,"to":1458843707611}}},{"fquery":{"query":{"query_string":{"query":"servicename:(\"ENTERPRISE-DOCSTORENAS-SERVICE\")"}},"_cache":true}}]}}}}}

We changed it withing the alert to:
{"query":{"filtered":{"query":{"bool":{"should":[{"query_string":{"query":"*"}}]}},"filter":{"bool":{"must":[{"range":{"@timestamp":{"from":1458843407609,"to":1458843707611}}},{"fquery":{"query":{"query_string":{"query":"message:(\"ENTERPRISE-DOCSTORENAS-SERVICE\")"}},"_cache":true}}]}}}}}

After clicking on the view alert button on the view alerts page it displays the incorrect filter on the dashboard. Viewing the alert after updating shows the proper query its just viewing the alert dashboard that does not display the proper filters. Do we know if the alert is running with the proper query or is the view alert not functioning properly?

Thanks.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: Alerts thresholds queries not updating?

Post by jolson »

I was capable of modifying my query and the alert responded accordingly.

Old query:

Code: Select all

{ "query": { "filtered": { "query": { "bool": { "should": [ { "query_string": { "query": "*" } } ] } }, "filter": { "bool": { "must": [ { "range": { "@timestamp": { "from": 1412797557683, "to": 1412883957683 } } }, { "fquery": { "query": { "query_string": { "query": "severity_label: (alert error critical) OR Severity: (alert error critical)" } }, "_cache": true } } ] } } } } }
New query:

Code: Select all

{ "query": { "filtered": { "query": { "bool": { "should": [ { "query_string": { "query": "*" } } ] } }, "filter": { "bool": { "must": [ { "range": { "@timestamp": { "from": 1412797557683, "to": 1412883957683 } } }, { "fquery": { "query": { "query_string": { "query": "severity_label: (yrdyd) OR Severity: (yrdyd)" } }, "_cache": true } } ] } } } } }
After the new query was put in place, the alert returned 0 results and did not email me. This tells me that the alert system is definitely responding to query changes appropriately. When I click through to the dashboard however, the old query is displayed, meaning that the click-through button on the alerts page doesn't respond to manual query edits. I will make a bug report that includes my findings.

Regarding your first question:
We will take our existing alert and change a threshold from 0 to 1 or whatever and save it through the web interface. This is effecting one of our nodes which happens to be the one with the most alerts on it. (Around 2000 or so)
Could you please elaborate? I'm not quite sure how to replicate this bug.
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
Jklre

Post by Jklre »

Could you please elaborate? I'm not quite sure how to replicate this bug.
I just went through and played around with it some more. There are some alerts that let us modify them and others that do not. Seems pretty random with the ones that are effected.

One that is not working consistently is as follows. We even deleted the alert and re-created a new one with the same properties and the behavior returned. This one does not allow us to change anything in it. not the name /threshold / query etc.. If we need to make a change we currently need to delete it and re create it.

ID: AVOGYoS3PlBiE1Llqurx

Alertname: 106929_FATAL_PARTIALLOSS.STANDARD_ASSIGNMENT_DELIVERY
Check Interval: 60m
Lookback Period: 60m
Thresholds: 10 10
Alert Method: Email
{"query":{"filtered":{"query":{"bool":{"should":[{"query_string":{"query":"*"}}]}},"filter":{"bool":{"must":[{"range":{"@timestamp":{"from":1458247617213,"to":1458248517215}}},{"fquery":{"query":{"query_string":{"query":"Mitch_ErrorNum:(\"106929\")"}},"_cache":true}}],"must_not":[{"fquery":{"query":{"query_string":{"query":"Mitch_Message:(\"%%A1%%%%\" OR \"%%AC%%%%\" OR \"%%DT%%%%\" OR \"%%EM%%%%\" OR \"%%HI%%%%\" OR \"%%MD%%%%\" \"%%MU%%%%\" OR \"%%MY%%%%\" OR \"%%NO%%%%\" OR \"%%OA%%%%\" OR \"%%OK%%%%\" OR \"%%PL%%%%\" OR \"%%PN%%%%\" OR \"%%RB%%%%\" OR \"%%SF%%%%\" OR \"%%SR%%%%\" OR \"%%WN%%%%\")"}},"_cache":true}}]}}}}}

Is there any other information I can provide?
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Do you have a query saved for each alert? If so, what happens if you modify the saved query?
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
Jklre

Post by Jklre »

hsmith wrote:Do you have a query saved for each alert? If so, what happens if you modify the saved query?
When modifying the query and saving nothing happens. it just reverts to what it was before. I can delete the alert how ever.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

You know the remote drill. I would like to see this one live. Can you send in a ticket, and then we can get something scheduled?
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
Jklre

Post by Jklre »

hsmith wrote:You know the remote drill. I would like to see this one live. Can you send in a ticket, and then we can get something scheduled?
Will do Ill open up a case and we can schedule some time. thank you.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Sounds good. Thanks!
Former Nagios Employee.
me.