Install question

This support forum board is for questions relating to Nagios Fusion.
LinedataIT

Install question

Post by LinedataIT »

Hi, I just want to get some clarification. Should I install Fusion on one of my current Nagios XI servers or would it be better to put up another Nagios XI server to run only Fusion and not monitor other servers.

Thanks.
mguthrie

Re: Install question

Post by mguthrie »

Fusion runs with a pretty low CPU overhead, so as long as you're trying to push a Nagios XI server to the absolute max for performance, you can install it alongside of an XI installation.
LinedataIT

Post by LinedataIT »

Thanks, I have installed in on one of my XI servers, but now I am having some other difficulties...

I have added 4 servers. The one that fusion is running on is OK, but the other 3 have " Unable to parse Nagios XI server response." in the Tactical Overview.
Any ideas? These are at remote locations, but port 80 is open and I can login to each XI instance in a browser from the location where Fusion is installed. Is there a timeout threshold? Some of these remote XI servers are quite a distance away with 100-300ms latency.

Thanks.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

There are timeout thresholds, but they're pretty forgiving. Can you check to make sure in the Admin panel that the authentication type is set to "Session" and not "basic"?
LinedataIT

Post by LinedataIT »

It is set to session, but I see the AUTH BAD error. I have verified several times that the password I supplied is correct. I can open the XI consoles with the same password in other tabs. Any clues? I have attached a SS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Are any of the servers using NAT, Proxy, or SSL?
LinedataIT

Post by LinedataIT »

nope. just remote locations. going through a private cloud, no vpn, nat, or proxy. They are going through firewalls, thats why I asked if anything needs to be open beside port 80.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Just out of curiosity, what version of Fusion are you running?

Do these XI servers go through some redirects to access them?

If you want I can find the code to increase the timeout thresholds and we can see if that resolves the issue. I think the timeouts are set to around 10 seconds, but it's always worth a try.
LinedataIT

Post by LinedataIT »

It is a new install, so it is 2010R1.1 and the update page says I am up to date.
From the fusion server, traffic goes out a Cisco ASA through the private cloud of my ISP (a few router hops), through the remote site's Cisco ASA and to the Nagios XI server.

10 seconds should be plenty of time. Like I said, ping latency is sub 300ms. That error in the Tactical Overview comes up within 2 seconds.
mguthrie

Post by mguthrie »

Ok, let me do some code hunting to see if I can find some clues on that. It's probably something small that we're missing, but that's usually all it takes ; )